Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging MacBook Pro via dock?

I have a USB-C dock for my 2019 MacBook Pro 16". The dock is rated to provide up to 60W of charging power for laptops. My MBP charger is rated at 96W.

When I plug the dock in and use my laptop, it does not charge at all. But I notice if I use an external monitor and close the MBP screen, the charging icon appears on the external monitor, and the power stays at 100% even if I work all day.

So my question is, is there any potential for harm to my MBP if I'm allowing it to charge via this dock - being that the power output is much lower than required by the MBP? Thanks -

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2020 11:16 AM

Neither one is, actually. The MBP will draw only as much power as it requires.

It's a fairly complicated implementation of hardware and software, but Apple thinks about these things so you don't have to.

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 7, 2020 11:42 AM in response to jerm1973

Your Mac is designed to use up to the entire output of the power adapter, AND borrow freely from the battery on a moment-by-moment basis.

The main risk from under-Powering is that you may also depleting the battery when you expect it should be charging. Also, your processor may begin throttling back its performance when the battery gets low.

A rare but possible risk from supplying too little power can occur. You can momentarily overdraw all available power, and the power levels could start to collapse. Inaccurate power levels can be damaging, so this would cause your Mac to do an uncontrolled emergency power-off to save itself.

Charging MacBook Pro via dock?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.