Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrading to 10.15.4 MacBook Pro no longer charging over USB-C dock.

After upgrading to 10.15.4 MacBook Pro no longer charging over USBC dock. I was using a DisplayLink based dock that met the base requirements to charge my MBP, and has been working fine for 6 months.

Is anyone aware of what might have changed? Is this a bug or is Apple tightening up requirements for 3rd party charging?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 3:31 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Mar 25, 2020 5:25 PM in response to MrMelo

Reset SCM doesn't solve the issue.

This is seems to be clearly a (very bad) Apple bug.

What I can see is that superficially the Mac is reporting that it is on power, it says PowerSource: Power Adapter, and Battery is Not Charging.

System info even reports that there is a charger, and that it is 63W, which is plenty for my 13" MBP (61 is the Apple charger)

Yet as I sit here I can see the battery drop from 100% down to currently 92%. This wouldn't be so bad if it at least was actually using the adapter to run as it reports, but it is clearly actually running on battery.

Whats especially bad is that it will it near 0% and rather than any warning or power indicator the laptop will completely shut off.

Mar 25, 2020 5:28 PM in response to steve359

The docking charger that I have it's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kV6Rz8x4vQ&t=12s

USB-C have 60W is independent from the ports with USB-A, that have 20W.

I just said the version with 80W (60+20W) just to identify the model. Because this brand have other options 60W, 87W and 100W.

Also worked in the last 2 years, and just stop to work after the update, and curious it's still working in another simple MacBook of 2019 with the macOS 10.15.3 (without the update).

When I was writing this text, I noticed that I have another problem with a USB-C to Ethernet adapter, with a chip AX88179.

That doesn't work at all.

Also I verify another topic, with a lot of users with similar problems in less than 24 hours, now I am sure it was not a coincidence:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251211856

Mar 30, 2020 11:49 PM in response to Community User

Bit more detail from my experimentation:-

I have a 16" Macbook Pro (i7/32GB/1TB) connected to it. Other devices connected to the dock are:-

4K monitor via display port

USB 3 cable to USB input on monitor to power the monitor USB ports

Gigabit ethernet cable to router

I have tried an SMC reset using the power button as well as the hold 3 buttons then power button method as described in this article:-

support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

I have also tried a PRAM reset. I tried both of these before and after a rollback to 10.15.3 via Time Machine (in fact that is what I am on now, I haven't re-applied the macOS update)

The fact the issue is still here makes me think they have updated some part of T2 or some other non-main OS part that isn't affected by a time machine rollback.

Mar 25, 2020 7:08 PM in response to Jay_OR

I can't update my last post, so I have some progress: about the chip AX88179, I read this article:

https://plugable.com/2019/10/04/usb-ethernet-adapter-not-working-after-macos-catalina-10-15-update-we-can-help/

My solution to have my Ethernet adapter working again was:

1. Download the last driver in:

https://www.asix.com.tw/download.php?sub=driverdetail&PItemID=131

In my case was the revision v2.16.0 release it in 2020-01-30.

2. Use the uninstaller script, and shutdown the laptop.

3. Do a DRAM reset and SMC reset.

4. Install the driver revision v2.16.0, and reboot.

But the other problems are still here, and the biggest one is my charger from Hyper Juice still don't work.

Mar 25, 2020 4:25 PM in response to cistearns

I have a similar problem, after the update yesterday to 10.15.4 my 3rd party docking charger stop work in my MBP 2017.

In the beginning I thought that was problem of the dock, but I try in another MB 2019 still with the 10.15.3 and was working perfectly, also try in other equipments with a USB-C and it's working.

I'm using a Hyper Juice docking charger, the version with 5 USB's 80W.

Mar 25, 2020 5:07 PM in response to cistearns

Hi, Same problem here, I'm using a simple USB-C to DisplayPort cable without brand, that was working fine in the last years.

With the last update 10.15.4 all time when i try to take up the laptop from sleep, i need to unplug and plug the cable several times, till the macbook flash the screen and pass though the image to my ASUS PB278 monitor.

After do the SMC reset just get worst, now even reboot the macOS with the lid closed, i need to open the lid a close several times.

--------

Another problem also after the update with a dock station from UGREEN (HDMI, VGA, Ethernet, 3 USB-A, microSD and SD reader), also i need to unplug several times till works.

Also the laptop don't wake up from sleep when i press a key in the keyboard connected over USB in this dock station, or a USB mouse.

I'm using a MacBook Pro 13 mid 2017 with 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Mar 25, 2020 5:14 PM in response to MrMelo

Does this multi-function-does-everything hub rely on the MBP for all of its juice? Even with wall power through Apple charger the hubs many ports and MBP are competing to use that power. In the old days each port had its own interface and thus individual power. Now these hubs must get all power from one port.

I would not be surprised if you need a hub with external AC for displays, and another hub for data and power-pass-through-charging.

Mar 30, 2020 2:44 PM in response to Community User

It's probably worth writing the vendors of these products as well, since they hopefully have business relationships that will make it easier to get this bug in front of someone at Apple.

So far it has been seen on chargers/stations from:

Plugable

Hyper Juice

Dell

Lenovo

HP

(Possibly any DisplayLink dock)

Plugable is probably the big one since they specifically market Apple support.

Mar 30, 2020 12:55 PM in response to cistearns

My Plugable Thunderbolt 3 dock has stopped charging my 16” MBP as of 10.15.4. It claims it is charging but in reality the battery is being worn down.

After upgrading to 10.15.4 MacBook Pro no longer charging over USB-C dock.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.