Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After update from 10.15.3 to 10.15.4 external displays doesn't work via docking station

I have two macbooks pro (2017 and 2018). I installed update of MacOS Catalina today to 10.15.4 and my DisplayLink D6000 docking station doesn't work from this point. I installed beta drivers of display link from a customer, but it didn't help. So, the only option is to connect displays via the apple adapter and hdmi, which is weird because you need 2 for 2 external monitors.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 3:13 AM

Similar questions

310 replies

Apr 14, 2020 7:34 AM in response to skEzio

Hi skEzio,

I have the same problem. I just got it resolved. My setup MBP 15” 2017, Asus PG348Q DisplayPort, TEAC Reference Speakers USB connected to PreMain Amp, Macally USB Keyboard, NAS Thunderbolt 3, all connected to Caldigit TS3.

All the devices didn’t work except my Thunderbolt to NAS.

Here is what I did:

1) https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295, carefully followed this with everything unplugged, No power to the MBP, power off the docking station, monitor, speakers.

Resetting the system management controller (SMC) can resolve certain issues related to power, battery, and other features.

The SMC is responsible for managing behaviors related to the following features. If you're experiencing issues with any of these, you might need to reset the SMC. 

• Power, including the power button and power to the USB ports
  • Battery and charging
  • Fans and other thermal-management features
  • Indicators or sensors such as status indicator lights (sleep status, battery charging status, and others), the sudden motion sensor, the ambient light sensor, and keyboard backlighting
  • Behavior when opening and closing the lid of a notebook computer

2) Once you plug in your docking station. The System Preferences --> Security & Privacy may need your approval for these devices/drivers.

Click accept / allow the devices.

3) Done.

Apr 16, 2020 2:13 AM in response to brex45

Hi.

Dont need the full SMC rest. Just use the following for MBP with T2 Chip

• Unplug all cables or anything connecting to Mac 💻
  • Shutdown MacOS
  • Hold power off button for 10 sec. Then release
  • Wait a few seconds. Then power on Macbook

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Keep all the ports unplugged. What happens next is crucial.

• login check on System Preferences —> Security & Privacy, you may need to give permission to the devices or drivers.
  • plug in your devices. give the devices to connect via Security & Privacy permission.

Works fine now.

May 27, 2020 2:23 PM in response to gvfx2000

I found a solution, Apple sell a super little monitor for a bargain basement $CAD6299 (plus very smart wheels at only a slightly pricey $CAD869 !). A few quick clicks, arrives next week. Can't wait! Nifty workaround to the incompatibility really.

Gotta say, I feel some deep heart-felt thanks right now to Apple for helpfully showing us – and which such polite and kind subtly – the way.

I'm just sad not everyone can go through this revelation, this dawning of the true light, as I have. Does anyone work in the media here? We need to get the word out! Users need to repent from 3rd-party monitors today and follow Apple, all in.

Truly, my tip to all on this thread, with Apple Pro Display XDR... we are saved!

Mar 25, 2020 3:20 AM in response to skEzio

I can copy this behavior. For me it is happening on a LG Ultrawide connected via TB3 Dock and HDMI. Im on the MacBook Pro 16".

I tried already a couple of things: Plugging my dock in every other TB3, cold/hot plug. Reseted PRAM and did a safe boot.

I can verify my dock is working since my iPad Pro has no issues connecting to the monitor through it.

I also tried a rather different approach: Keeping the lid closed of the MBP while connected to the TB3 Dock. This actually results in showing the startup and login screen on the external monitor. However as soon as I am logged in, the monitor briefly shows a distorted image and then is black.

I cannot test it with another dock or adapter, as I unfortunately don't have one.

Mar 25, 2020 5:40 PM in response to BenHecht

Watch your power as well. The symptom I'm seeing that might be related is that the MBP will claim that it is on AC power via the dock, when in fact it is draining the batteries until the the laptop just abruptly powers off. Most of the system thinks it is on AC power, including not throttling CPU or graphics, but you can watch the battery % drop.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251214002

Apr 4, 2020 11:17 AM in response to skEzio

I have been able to replicate the issue through 3 different cables and 1 dock.

For some reason if you leave the Macbook Pro open, my screen works fine. If I close the MacBook Pro, then within 5 minutes the screen goes black. additionally I can't get the screen to come on with moving the external trackpad or keyboard, which I was able to do on version 10.15.3

I would suggest submitting the issue with details to apple here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Apr 8, 2020 6:49 AM in response to Dancin_Brook

I did go to Alogic website, this is the dock I am using, https://www.alogic.co/catalog/product/view/id/4032/s/alogic-usb-c-dock-plus-with-power-delivery-ultra-series-silver/category/262/

they don't have any section to update the firmware, and this dongle was working fine before I upgrade to 10.15.4.

Initially, I thought it's either the dock, the cable or the monitor. After I tried to use the dongle on a different laptop, the dongle works fine. So it's not the cable, the monitor and the dock. Hopefully Apple is not upgrading its OS to force user to buy they own accessories (like what their did to the iphone cables).

After reading Apple's MacOs releasing note here https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT210642, in the bug fixes section, they have made some changes to the display side things. Which make me feel my issue is kind of related to this update.

Apr 9, 2020 5:28 PM in response to Dancin_Brook

Just an update after the supplemental update was installed. On multiple USB-C to HDMI cables once the Macbook Pro sleeps itself, I can not get it to wake up without opening the MacBook Pro. Also I have to agree that the passive aggressive posting that Apple can't be to blame, and it has to be everyone else's fault is ridiculous. We all had different technology from different makers that was working fine before 10.15.4 and now it isn't working. Don't just worship and drink the kool-aid.

A perfect example is the LG monitor Apple was selling as the replacement for the Apple Thunderbolt Display that is not working for one of the users. Also as other users have said, they are having issues with Apple's own USB-C to digital AV adapter.

The best thing we can all do is continue to report the issues to Apple's Feedback form as it continues with each version they release if the issue is still happening.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Apr 9, 2020 5:33 PM in response to hendrixwb

Y'all need to focus on sharing enough info then getting solutions in am organized manner, including reaching out to both Apple and the manufacturer. Surely some folks have AppleCare, so they'll talk to you without question. And if you make it a macOS issue, they will likely talk to you even if you don't have AppleCare.

Most of all, always backup before upgrading. Use TimeMachine with a relatively cheap and large external hard drive. And consider getting an external SSD that is as big or slightly bigger than you internal drive, and use SuperDuper of Carbon Copy Clone to make a quick bootable backup, in case anything goes wrong. Clone right before an upgrade. You can get this 500 GB SSD for under $100 elsewhere.

Why the links to Apple? Because I assume if Apple sells it, it is good stuff that works well their stuff. You don't have to buy it from them, but it's good to know Apple is selling it before buying.

Apr 15, 2020 2:02 PM in response to skEzio

Let me correct myself. After the update, I tried to connect the Dell Docking Station 6000 with my MacBook Pro 2017 13". It connected to my two identical Dell displays (U2417H) without any problems – no blinking, no waiting. I use one HDMI cable and one DisplayPort cable. However, when I tried it with my MacBook Pro 2018 13", it simply didn't work. Therefore, I read more about this problem in this thread and tried to upgrade the Docking station firmware as diegocdl27 suggested in his reply: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251211856?answerId=252336012022#252336012022

After upgrading the firmware of the Docking station it worked also on my 2018 MacBook pro version. The problem is that you need windows to update the firmware.

Good luck to everyone. Btw. I really don't understand why they are making some changes in USB-C drivers or whatever it was during the pandemic when many of us works from home.

Apr 18, 2020 2:29 PM in response to Blndvs

Blndvs wrote:
Okay so I just switched to this found on Amazon -
USB C Hub, USB C Docking Station, QGeeM 12 in 1 Triple Display Type C Hub to Dual 4K HDMI & DP,USB C to USB Adapter,100W PD, Gigabit Ethernet, USB C Card Reader,USB Docking Station
It's money spent, but works perfectly and much smaller than the old D7000 I was using, plus portable.
Hope this helps anyone open to the idea of purchasing a new dock.

So, why does one item work and another does not??? Apple is not the only variable here. Granted, changes to the OS have identified problems in some hubs, but again, if this was widespread, it would be all over the internet. Trouble shoot. Cables, Firmware. A different hub. SMC reset. Sorry but this kind of stuff happens on all computers. And what works for one person is not always going to work for another, because there are too many variables between each. Sorry, but obviously the vast majority of folks are not having these issues. I feel bad but troubleshooting is part of the processs.

Don't upgrade until you back up, and test changes before you are committed. Get a backup drive you can use to restore if needed.

And beware buying whatever is cheap at Amazon. Apple sells these two which suggests they work fine:

Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock HD

CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock

They are no less at Amazon (at not least with a quick look).

Jun 5, 2020 9:35 PM in response to Shaun.collier

I'm still experiencing the issue after applying the supplemental update (original post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251211856?answerId=252335217022#252335217022), but for the first time since macOS 10.15.4 I very briefly got an image on my Apple Cinema Display (which is still connected to the USB-hub/dock): I had my MBP closed and connected it to the dock's USB-C cable and the macOS login screen shows up on my Cinema Display, so I fill in my password and the login-process starts (and I'm hopeful). However, as soon as the login-process completes my Cinema Display goes blank/black and I haven't been able to get the image back. After I filled in my password and the login-process started, I started recording with my phone, and you can find the video here: https://youtu.be/I0itb1B1W7Y.

As far as I know, I've tried all of the suggestions posted in this thread at no avail.

Come on, Apple!

After update from 10.15.3 to 10.15.4 external displays doesn't work via docking station

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.