Can I use a Kensington sd5700T docking station with a Mac Studio?

I've been using the Kensington SD5700T with my MacBook Pro. Just got a Mac Studio and I'd like to leave everything plugged into the docking station and just move the cable from the MacBook to the Studio and back when necessary. My question really is, will the fact that the dock supplies 90W to charge the MacBook do any damage to the studio? I would think it will only draw power if connected to a battery, but wanted to see if anyone knew for sure before I try it. Kensington site was of no use........

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 3:36 PM

Any external power supply that provides "USB Power Delivery" (including certain displays) must negotiate over the USB cable using USB Power Delivery Protocol, and can not 'force itself' on your Mac. The Voltage and Current are delivered only after your Mac requests and the charger agrees to supply power under certain controlled conditions. The computer is in control of the entire process.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2023 3:36 PM in response to res523

Any external power supply that provides "USB Power Delivery" (including certain displays) must negotiate over the USB cable using USB Power Delivery Protocol, and can not 'force itself' on your Mac. The Voltage and Current are delivered only after your Mac requests and the charger agrees to supply power under certain controlled conditions. The computer is in control of the entire process.

Can I use a Kensington sd5700T docking station with a Mac Studio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.