Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

popping noise

There is a popping noise that sometimes comes from my Late 2009 Macbook. If my volume is muted it goes away. It comes and goes whenever and the pops get louder sometimes. What is the fix?

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 6:30 PM

If you are sure the popping noise stops when the sound is muted, then either you have a bad speaker or some software audio could be glitching or sending the "popping" sounds to the speakers.

You could try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold PRAM reset for three chimes to make sure it activates several times).

Is this from the internal speakers? Does the same thing happen when using headphones?

The reason I ask whether you are absolutely certain the noise stops is because some hard drive failures can sound like a popping or crackling noise.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2019 6:30 PM in response to thomas493

If you are sure the popping noise stops when the sound is muted, then either you have a bad speaker or some software audio could be glitching or sending the "popping" sounds to the speakers.

You could try an SMC reset and PRAM reset (hold PRAM reset for three chimes to make sure it activates several times).

Is this from the internal speakers? Does the same thing happen when using headphones?

The reason I ask whether you are absolutely certain the noise stops is because some hard drive failures can sound like a popping or crackling noise.

popping noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.