Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to block "screensaver.app" pop-up in Safari 12.1.1

Yesterday and today, each time Safari 12.1.1 is opened, an annoying pop-up jumps to the centre of the screen:

“ScreenSaver.app“ wants access to control “Safari.app“. Allowing control will provide access to documents and data in “Safari.app“, and to perform actions within that app.

Clicking the "Don't Allow" button closes the window momentarily then it reappears. I don't want to click the "OK" button.

Unless this can be remedied, I'll close Safari permanently and choose another default browser.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 2:30 PM

This worked! I deleted Safari history, I emptied cache, I found "Flash Player" file in Applications and dragged to trash can and emptied, I then went to Malwarebytes and downloaded. Ran scan. found lots of "Mac Ad cleaner" files and other phony files. Got rid of them all. Now Safari works again without that incessant "Screensaver.app wants control of safari.app" popup! Thank you for the solution to this problem!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2019 2:30 PM in response to Operator_1

This worked! I deleted Safari history, I emptied cache, I found "Flash Player" file in Applications and dragged to trash can and emptied, I then went to Malwarebytes and downloaded. Ran scan. found lots of "Mac Ad cleaner" files and other phony files. Got rid of them all. Now Safari works again without that incessant "Screensaver.app wants control of safari.app" popup! Thank you for the solution to this problem!

Jul 19, 2019 12:44 PM in response to Billy-g

See if anything here helps.

pop up blocker wont turn off - Apple Community

Safari – Popup takes over

Safari – Popup takes over (2)

Popup remover – Scam Zapper

If the pop-up reloads, force quit Safari (command - option/alt - esc) and reopen with the shift key held down. If that doesn't work, disconnect from the Internet, go to Safari/History and delete the website. Quit and reopen with the shift key held down. Then reconnect to the Internet.

Safari -Tech support scam pop-ups

Jul 19, 2019 1:36 PM in response to Billy-g

I had the same issue. I just got off the phone with Apple support and they said to install Malwarebytes (I put the link below) select download in the top right corner. Before letting that scan Go through and delet all internet history, and cache. Also go through your downloads and delete any "Adobe flash". Then let Malwarebytes scan your computer and then delete anything that it finds.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

how to block "screensaver.app" pop-up in Safari 12.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.