Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using External Hard Drive for Sound Library in Logic - 'Relocate Sound Library'

I am trying to use an external hard drive to store all of the loops and sound libraries for Logic Pro X.

When I click on Logic Pro X > Sound Library...

There is no option (not greyed out even) to relocate the sound library, as it would seem there should be.

I have reformatted the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

I've tried updating the software as well as MainStage but have no luck.

Not all of the library is downloaded. Everything is except from 'Legacy and Compatibility'. Would this stop me from relocating? I can't download the rest as I have insufficient space on my internal SSD, hence the need for the external drive.

Any help? Many thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 11:22 AM

The Relocate Sound Library command was introduced in Logic Pro X 10.4.2. From memory, this version requires macOS 10.13 or more.

Your signature say macOS 10.12. If this really the case then you have a previous version of Logic and that is why you don't see the RSL command.

Your options are:

1- Update both macOS and Logic if your MacBook Pro supports it.

2- You don't want to update and are a bit tech savvy. You can relocate the library manually by creating a Symbolic Link (Symlink) pointing to the external drive.

If you go the option 2 route you will find good instructions by searching this forum or the internet. Forget older ones talking about an Alias. That no longer works.

Also I do not recommend using an utility to do it for you.

Let us know if you need more help.

Hope that helps,

WD

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2019 11:22 AM in response to IsaacAdams

The Relocate Sound Library command was introduced in Logic Pro X 10.4.2. From memory, this version requires macOS 10.13 or more.

Your signature say macOS 10.12. If this really the case then you have a previous version of Logic and that is why you don't see the RSL command.

Your options are:

1- Update both macOS and Logic if your MacBook Pro supports it.

2- You don't want to update and are a bit tech savvy. You can relocate the library manually by creating a Symbolic Link (Symlink) pointing to the external drive.

If you go the option 2 route you will find good instructions by searching this forum or the internet. Forget older ones talking about an Alias. That no longer works.

Also I do not recommend using an utility to do it for you.

Let us know if you need more help.

Hope that helps,

WD

Jul 22, 2019 7:17 AM in response to Wilddrums

Thank you!

I had seen about the Symbolic Link elsewhere online but was under the impression I had updated my Macbook.

Every time I went to update it, it would take me to the App Store but with nothing to download. Then after some searching, I found 'install high Sierra' on the launcher - oops!

I was under the impression I had all the updates when I didn't! This meant I could update the Logic Pro x and the relocation feature was there and worked just fine.

Many thanks!

Using External Hard Drive for Sound Library in Logic - 'Relocate Sound Library'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.