Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage issue: when I open on my Mac, the text window contains text of a previously sent message

I own a MacBook Pro running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5.

I have noticed during the past month that when I open iMessage on my Mac, the text window contains the text of an older message sent previously.

For example:

• I type "Hello, how are you?" in an existing message and send it. The words appear in the history of the message.
  • I exit iMessage
  • I open iMessage again and find "Hello, how are you?" in the text window, waiting to be sent.

This happens with whatever message in my chat history I select the first time I open iMessage.

I first noticed it about a month ago.

I have no such issue on my iPad or iPhone.

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 5:40 PM

Hello,

Lets try disabling iMessage and re-enabling it. To being open Messages and pull down the Messages menu and tap on Preferences. Tap sign out next to your Apple ID. Once iMessage is disabled restart your Macintosh by pulling down the Apple Menu  -> Restart.

Once your Mac is powered back on open Messages and pull down the Messages menu -> Preferences. Sign back in with your Apple ID. Open System Preferences -> iCloud and toggle on Messages for iCloud.

Hopefully this should solve this problem for you!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2019 5:40 PM in response to db-bluetooth

Hello,

Lets try disabling iMessage and re-enabling it. To being open Messages and pull down the Messages menu and tap on Preferences. Tap sign out next to your Apple ID. Once iMessage is disabled restart your Macintosh by pulling down the Apple Menu  -> Restart.

Once your Mac is powered back on open Messages and pull down the Messages menu -> Preferences. Sign back in with your Apple ID. Open System Preferences -> iCloud and toggle on Messages for iCloud.

Hopefully this should solve this problem for you!

iMessage issue: when I open on my Mac, the text window contains text of a previously sent message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.