Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages not syncing Read notification on Macbook Pro

I have seen others' comments or posts on this but still have not found a fix for it. I have been having this issue for years...

For some reason when I open my laptop iMessage is still showing unread for a ton of messages that I have already opened/read on my iPhone or iPad. My iPad syncs them fine and it only seems to affect my Macbook Pro 2019.

I have tried deactivating iMessage on all devices and reactivating it. Logging out and back in on all devices as well. Can someone please help me with recommendations?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2023 12:03 PM

There might be something to check here...

On your MacBook, open iMessage

On the top toolbar, click "Messages"

On the new window, click the "iMessages" tab

Under your AppleID info, there's a checkbox that might be unchecked..."Enable Messages in iCloud"

If it is unchecked, check it, then click "Sync Now"

Hope this helps!

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 16, 2023 8:20 PM in response to Brandon54m

Dang it!! That’s usually the one that works!! Lol

You mentioned that this occurs when you “open your laptop”. Have you ever opened iMessage and waited a few minutes for the computer to sync?

Sometimes my email does the same thing. I’ll unlock my iPhone and mail will show a few unread emails, but then after a few seconds, it syncs and marks “new” emails as “read”.

Feb 16, 2023 10:37 PM in response to SixFour391

Yes, everything should even sync correctly if I haven't opened my laptop for a while right? I believe I notice it the most when I don't open my laptop for a while and I will have over 100+ unread texts. The downloading bar at the bottom almost looks like it's stuck and will do that all day. Even after force stopping and reopening I have the same issue.

Feb 17, 2023 12:24 AM in response to Brandon54m

For it to catch up, it must be actively downloading information. When your laptop is closed and not charging, it’s not really doing much of anything.

So I would leave it charging and open for a while to catch up. Even if that means overnight and over several days.

You should also look at your settings, and what you’re allowing it to do while it’s “asleep”.

Laptops operate differently than desktops and mobile devices.

iMessages not syncing Read notification on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.