Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message notifications

I used to receive notifications for messages normally. out of nowhere i suddenly stopped receiving them on my mac, only on other devices. I receive messages for other apps, except imessage. On notification settings, notifications are set to on with all the options also set to on. if i go on the app, recent messages are there, i just don't get the notification. How can i start getting notifications for my messages again?

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 15, 2020 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 12:26 PM

Hi,

Try setting the Notifications to Off (no Banner, Sound or anything else).

Restart the Messages App.

IF you can send an iMessages from your iPhone to your Apple ID. (this is more difficult with later versions of both the iOS and the macOS as there is greater linking between the Number and the Apple ID)

In some cases you can specify which you are using to Start the Conversation From which may help.

Then reset the Notifications to On again and repeat testing sending yourself an iMessage.

If this does not work repeat the above but add in turning the computer Off and On again between the first test and the resetting of the Notifications.

Ralph

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2020 12:26 PM in response to SofiaTS32

Hi,

Try setting the Notifications to Off (no Banner, Sound or anything else).

Restart the Messages App.

IF you can send an iMessages from your iPhone to your Apple ID. (this is more difficult with later versions of both the iOS and the macOS as there is greater linking between the Number and the Apple ID)

In some cases you can specify which you are using to Start the Conversation From which may help.

Then reset the Notifications to On again and repeat testing sending yourself an iMessage.

If this does not work repeat the above but add in turning the computer Off and On again between the first test and the resetting of the Notifications.

Ralph

Apr 16, 2020 1:20 PM in response to SofiaTS32

Hello SofiaTS32,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you're not receiving notifications on Mac but you're not getting them on your Mac. You've come to the right place for help with notifications.

Let's ensure that you have continuity running on all your devices so you are able to get all your notifications on any of your devices.

Follow the steps provided in the article below.

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch

Let me know if that worked for you.

Have a great day!

Apr 18, 2020 8:21 PM in response to CarlAVII

Hey PsyDye,

So the thing is, i already had continuity set up. even if i check, everything essential is set to on. if i open the app, all messages will be there, but i just don't get the notification on the top right anymore (preferences are set to badges, sounds, banners). I also used to be getting these notifications along with notification from other apps, they've just stopped all of the sudden. Do you have any tips on what i should do?

Thanks!

Message notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.