Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't turn off iMessages on Macbook Pro

I've turned off notifications and signed out, and turned off notifications in System preferences, but as soon as my phone is near my Mac, while using messages, the app launches. How do I stop this? I don't want to ever use messages on my computer.

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 8:50 AM

nero128 wrote:

This is what works:
System Preferences > General > Uncheck the Allow Handoff setting

Hmmm. I have always had that option checked. But I do not use Messages on the Mac after initial testing. And do not have your issue.

handoff/continuity does include many useful features; Messages doe not have to be one of them..

ref: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

To resolve your issue—I would try a Safeboot to clear system cache files and try again— to not...

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2022 8:50 AM in response to nero128

nero128 wrote:

This is what works:
System Preferences > General > Uncheck the Allow Handoff setting

Hmmm. I have always had that option checked. But I do not use Messages on the Mac after initial testing. And do not have your issue.

handoff/continuity does include many useful features; Messages doe not have to be one of them..

ref: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

To resolve your issue—I would try a Safeboot to clear system cache files and try again— to not...

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

Feb 23, 2022 7:57 AM in response to nero128

nero128 wrote:

I've turned off notifications and signed out, and turned off notifications in System preferences, but as soon as my phone is near my Mac, while using messages, the app launches. How do I stop this? I don't want to ever use messages on my computer.

On your Mac—

Messages.app>Preferences>Disable /Sign Out

ref

Messages User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Can't turn off iMessages on Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.