Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cleanmymac is malware

I would appreciate on how to fully remove the program cleanmymac from macpaw?

I realised it was a scam designed to create the problems it solves realising how exaggerating the problems creates its business.

However after searching through safari most of the hits are propaganda from macpaw shills - which is how i installed it initially believing their misleading comments.

Pity there are no deterrents on the net to punish scams like this and thank all of you realsters for pointing to the facts.

Cleaned up most of the macpaw malware but would appreciate advice on How to fully delete the item cleanmymac in startup which is not available to me. I can either turn it off or remove it but it returns on reboot.

How can I find the original entry and delete it. Please no shill responses.

Thanks in advance.

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 12:00 PM

5 replies

Jul 20, 2019 12:19 PM in response to indu224

You certainly would think it should.

I looked around and couldn't find any trustworthy sites saying how to completely remove it. Almost all were the usual junk sites that practically beg you to download some unknown app they claim will remove (fill in the name of any app you could enter in a search). Almost without fail, these are more dangerous than what they claim to fix.

Check in all of these folders. The tilde ~ means your user account:

~/Library/Preferences/

~/Library/Application Support/

~/Library/Caches/

~/Library/Logs/

~/Library/LaunchAgents

~/Library/Cookies

Delete anything with macpaw or cleanmymac in its name.

cleanmymac is malware

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.