how do i delete cleanmymac?

Do I need cleanmymac? And how do I delete it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jun 13, 2023 1:25 PM

3 replies

Nov 29, 2023 6:23 AM in response to ku4hx

Why wouldn't an app like this come in useful? Of course some of the actions it performs macOS has built in (usually not as pretty to look at) but there are others that macOS does not have (but can get in another free / paid app that may or may not be deemed terrible for you mac). Mostly though having a suite of tools which can be performed all at once and even on a scheduler is very useful.

I bought a year subscription of CleamMyMac X 11 months ago because my iMac17,1 running macos monterey which I've had since it was new was running like it was full of syrup. Did some google searchs and found the program bought it and ran it and 30 minutes after doing the first google search it was like I just took the mac out of the box. I run a full scan once or twice a month and have it monitoring and usually few times a day take a recomendation from the monitoring and is almost always to free up ram (I use Chrome and usually have 3 groups of tabs running each one have 10-20 tabs in it.) My total ram is only 8GB installed with room for 8 GB more. I really would like to add another 8 but the last time I looked a year ago it was basically the cost of my rent for the month. At the moment I have 2.39GB of ram "free" and of what is being used at the moment Chrome is taking 3.91GB of that. Everything else that is running and listed is around 100MB or less. I've looked at some Chromes extensions which help with resource consumption but have never found a "free" one which I can tell is helping at all. Anyone reads this and has a suggestion please reply.

Again I'll ask - why is CMM so terrible for the machine? Came across first post like that while doing a google search on a feature of CMM and fell down the apple support discussion board rabbit hole. Then found another 50 of them saying very basic negative things like "dont use it'll ruin your mac. might as well just throw it out the window now and go buy a new one" but not one poster I've read yet says WHY they are saying this. One post made a very good point - several members have said something like "Apple Support strongly advises against installing CMM" and to that this user replied back "Ok so why is the program in the Apple App Store is Apple is so against it?" I just checked it was actually there or should say still was there as I got my activation off their site from a google search. The app has 4.6 stars with 8700 reviews, is the Featured App in the app store section "Optimize Your Mac" (guessing that may be a paid spot so that doesn't matter as much but still would have to wonder why Apple would take their money and feature them if they were so anti CMM. Unless its a really sneaky way Apple figured out to build up their paid support and repair services....sneak a trojan horse of their own into the app store to kill 1 in 4 macs it gets installed on) and finally CMM holds the #3 spot in the Top Charts for Top Free Apps.

So again I ask....why all the Danger Will Robinson! Danger! from the support community?

Nov 29, 2023 7:13 AM in response to JosephBerger

CMM is frequently implicated in problems people have with their computers. We often use an app called etrecheck that allows people to post information on their computers when troubleshooting. People with problems very frequently have application like CMM or similar installed. Removing the application either resolves the issue or helps mitigate it.

CMM has been known to delete things it shouldn't. The people who tend to use are the ones least able to make knowledgable decisions about whether or not the stuff should be deleted.

It sounds like the simplest solution to your problem is to stop using Chrome. It's a horrible resource hog (as well as funneling huge amounts of your personal information to Google). If you don't like Safari, try Firefox or Brave.

You can keep an eye on memory usage using the included Activity Monitor. Unless your memory pressure goes into the red (graph at the bottom), let the computer manage RAM on its own. It will do a better job than you can.

My MBA has 8 GB of RAM. I have no problem running it without CMM.

how do i delete cleanmymac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.