Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes splitting albums

Hey there!

I have been running into this issue for awhile now and still cannot find a solution to the problem.

When transferring my music onto my phone (this issue has been happening for any phone I have owned since my 5s) artists that are made up of a handful of songs, and not full albums, will be split, into individual albums.

For example,

In my iTunes, I have a handful of songs I have purchased from Beatport, they are under the 'artist name' "Beatport Purchases". Each track is named its actual song name, but the artist name and album name, are all the same. To be exact, every song under the name Beatport Purchases, has exactly the same information set to it, the only difference is the actual song title, and yes, I have renamed a handful of the songs to being the same name to see if that changed anything and they still split up.

This issue does not happen when I transfer artists of multiple albums. For example, If I transfer all the Eminem music I have, all the albums are transferred as they are on iTunes. This issue only happens when its albums that are not, full albums.

This issue also happens when, I have removed songs from the album that I dont like, or want to listen to, and have deleted from my iTunes.

I have updated iTunes, computer and my phone to the latest updates, I have gone over every single bit of information change you can do and made sure they're all identical and have followed every step on the internet !

Shy of taking my computer to the apple store, Surely someone else has this issue, or some one knows the answer?

Cheers!

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 6:29 PM

If iTunes shows multiple instances of an artist or an album then what generally works is to select all related tracks and use Get Info to add say a trailing X to each of the fields that the tracks should have in common:

• For an album; Album, Album Artist, and Artist (if artist is the same for all tracks) *
  • For an artist; Album Artist (and Artist unless there are guest/featured artists listed which should not be changed)

Apply the change which merges things together, then remove the excess characters. Occasionally it may help to close and reopen iTunes between the two renaming operations. Part of a compilation should also be set consistently.

* If tracks are to be synced to a non-iOS device there should be a common Artist and/or the album should be set as a Compilation.

Use the songs view and display the fields Album, Sort Album, Album Artist, Sort Album Artist, Artist and Sort Artist side by side so you see whether or not it is appropriate to edit Artist and if sort values could be causing any further problems. See Grouping tracks into albums for more help if required.

One further tip for really stubborn duplicates. At one point I had three lots of Various Artists in the artists view of my iTunes Match library that wouldn't respond to the usual trailing X treatment. What I found worked was to add the trailing X to start with, but then with each group that iTunes wanted to keep separate start typing a value and let iTunes autocomplete from say Var... to Various Artists. Picking from the autocomplete lists seemed to work when pasting/editing the whole value didn't.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2019 6:29 PM in response to keilholz

If iTunes shows multiple instances of an artist or an album then what generally works is to select all related tracks and use Get Info to add say a trailing X to each of the fields that the tracks should have in common:

• For an album; Album, Album Artist, and Artist (if artist is the same for all tracks) *
  • For an artist; Album Artist (and Artist unless there are guest/featured artists listed which should not be changed)

Apply the change which merges things together, then remove the excess characters. Occasionally it may help to close and reopen iTunes between the two renaming operations. Part of a compilation should also be set consistently.

* If tracks are to be synced to a non-iOS device there should be a common Artist and/or the album should be set as a Compilation.

Use the songs view and display the fields Album, Sort Album, Album Artist, Sort Album Artist, Artist and Sort Artist side by side so you see whether or not it is appropriate to edit Artist and if sort values could be causing any further problems. See Grouping tracks into albums for more help if required.

One further tip for really stubborn duplicates. At one point I had three lots of Various Artists in the artists view of my iTunes Match library that wouldn't respond to the usual trailing X treatment. What I found worked was to add the trailing X to start with, but then with each group that iTunes wanted to keep separate start typing a value and let iTunes autocomplete from say Var... to Various Artists. Picking from the autocomplete lists seemed to work when pasting/editing the whole value didn't.

tt2

Jul 21, 2019 8:46 PM in response to turingtest2

Hey there,

Thanks for you reply, the issue isn't in iTunes itself, it is when the artists have been transferred to an iPhone.

For example,

I have 6 songs by one artist that are all single release songs.

I have removed their album name and any relating information to the album.

Those six songs are all under one album, one artist, while the only information that changes is the song title.

Its fine in iTunes on my computer, but once transferred to my iPhone XR, it then splits each song, into its own album.

The songs are also in on folder on my iMac's hard drive. So it happens when transferring to my phone, no where else.

iTunes splitting albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.