Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone know the best (BEST!) data recovery software?

Hi,

Short story is my 500gb iPhoto library was trashed, and emptied without any backups.

I do know the importance of keeping backups and had two 2TB LaCie drives doing that job but my Mac has been crashing a lot recently due to old age (2006) and a lot of kernal panics that I’ve been unable to cure.

It was doing a complete system backup and everything was going well. No crashes or restarts like all the other times I’ve tried. It was at 494 out of 679gb but then I had to go out......

When I came back no backup or record of any partial/in progress one on external drive.

Checked Console and it had had a few stops and starts with some errors thrown in for good measure. Even finder crashed.

The kernal panics restarted it three times though.

So I admitted defeat and

left it.

Next day I binned some stuff then emptied trash and went to get coffee. When I came back ten minutes later it was just finishing! Can’t have been anything else other than the library. I never binned it and no one else was home.

Last I looked it was in pictures folder.

This photo library has every photo I’ve ever taken in it plus a load of little and some bigger, GoPro videos from the past 20 years.

So what one do I use and do these programs actually work?

Ive got stellar doing a ‘free deep scan’ just now to see if it even finds it. I know it’s there but who knows.

To say the past 40 hours has been stressful does not come close.

Thanks.

Posted on Jul 23, 2019 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2019 11:46 AM

If there is any chance of recovery at all try Prosoft Data Recovery.

https://www.prosofteng.com/datarescue-mac-data-recovery/

There is a free trial to see if it can recover what you need. But don't do another process on that drive until you've downloaded and run it.

Ideally you should use another bootable drive to download and run Data Rescue. Or booted from another Mac in Target Disk Mode. 

Depending on how valuable those files are to you, you can also use a professional recovery service, like DriveSavers but it is much more pricey.

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2019 11:46 AM in response to James Phoenix

If there is any chance of recovery at all try Prosoft Data Recovery.

https://www.prosofteng.com/datarescue-mac-data-recovery/

There is a free trial to see if it can recover what you need. But don't do another process on that drive until you've downloaded and run it.

Ideally you should use another bootable drive to download and run Data Rescue. Or booted from another Mac in Target Disk Mode. 

Depending on how valuable those files are to you, you can also use a professional recovery service, like DriveSavers but it is much more pricey.

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

Aug 19, 2019 10:06 AM in response to James Phoenix

So, got half million photos back with Stellar data recovery pro.

Wouldnt recommend it. There was no way to break up the photos into folders of 10,000 to make it workable.

Also no Folders, dates, times etc like they promised.

I’ll tackle that bulging folder at some point.

Sone good news is that I found

three folders while digging around in my 2x 2tb back ups and found quite a lot of missing photos.

Lesson here is get a job and own new Macs. My beloved 06’ is dying a slow death.

Oh and check trash before emptying,

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and ideas.

Jul 24, 2019 5:11 AM in response to macjack

Okay thanks.

My actual library is around 300gb but the computer has been giving me so much trouble over the past year and it’s nearly doubled the volume!

Am I correct in thinking that data recovery cant just pick out the volume ‘iPhoto Library’ that was deleted on the 22/07/19?

Am I going to get 24,000 photos in random order with all the movies thrown in?

Stellars scan has said there is 867gb that can be recovered!

Is the one you mentioned better?

Have you ever been a fool like myself and needed to use one?

Thanks.

Jul 24, 2019 10:59 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Hi,

No, I have access to it but not the deleted part.

The Stellar recovery is still going on. 13 hours and counting....

I’ll see what it says when done. Then check the program suggested in the first reply.

The computer works fine (except for kernal panics) but with thousands of messages in console for all over. Sometimes 500 a second (iTunes) which is then stopped.

Stellar recovery program froze so had to force quit.

I would love to buy another but I’m not working at the moment so I’m stuck.

I will try Target Disc mode tonight and get back to you all.

Thanks for the help so far.

Jul 24, 2019 6:16 PM in response to HWTech

Cheers for that. I’ll give it a go tomorrow.

Running off usb just now while EaseUS Data recovery scans.

Dont know how good they are as it’s froze twice already but that could be because it’s only a 16gb drive.

I made that bootable usb years ago and I don’t recall how I did it.

Anyone know how to make a bootable usb copy of either 10.6.8 or 10.7.5?

Looked online but it’s all install usb’s which are no use to me.

Off to bed.

Thanks all.

Jul 28, 2019 2:46 PM in response to James Phoenix

Hi all,

Okay so things looking a bit more positive. Using Stellar Pro to scan drive just now after talking to a woman there.

I didn’t need much convincing after I tried a couple of trials of other recovery scans. Yes you get photos and videos back but with no info!! No dates, no folders, no organisation at all. Thousands of photos and videos all in a pile. There was 24,000 photos in 583 folders so no thank you.

Stellar say they can look for big volumes, recently deleted and go for the lot with all the related information. So hopefully this is true. It gets really good reviews.

Managed finally to make a 128gb bootable ssd usb drive so it’s not slow anymore.

I’ll post when I know more.

Cheers.

Anyone know the best (BEST!) data recovery software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.