Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari number of open tabs

Is there an easy way to look up number of open tabs on safari? I'm using MacBook Pro. It seems that this is possible on iphones and ipads but cannot find anywhere on the internet on how to look this up on MacBook. Help appreciated! Thank you!!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 23, 2019 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 5:34 PM

Choose Utilities from the Finder's Go menu, open the Script Editor, and run:

tell application "Safari"

count every tab of every window

end tell

(173306)

10 replies

Jul 30, 2019 11:37 AM in response to Saxman

I'm really sorry that one of the extension I suggested (I guess Tab Lister) messed up your Safari navigation.

I used Sessions extension when it was still available (now it's deprecated) to save Safari sessions of tabs and windows. It's not exactly what you and mergenc are looking for: anyway it was a useful tool to save and organize sessions with numerous websites.

A similar extensions still exist: it's called SessionRestore. You can give it a try ... carefully – better evaluate it with test tabs/windows.

Aug 9, 2019 8:27 AM in response to Saxman

An alternative presentation:

tell application "Safari"
	set tabList to name of tabs of every window
	set tabCnt to count of tabs of every window
end tell
set {TID, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, return}
display dialog "Open Safari Tabs:  " & (tabCnt as text) & return & return & (items of tabList) as text
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to TID
return

Jul 30, 2019 10:55 AM in response to Marco Klobas

That tabs overview only shows the tabs in the current window, which is not what he or I am looking for. I followed your link to the extensions, which was helpful, but the listings were all so sketchy, with no screenshots of what each one looks like, nor a single user review. So I installed the first one, which is supposed to show me a list of all open tabs... Well, when I clicked on it, it CLOSED EVERY WINDOW & TAB, and put them on one list!! So now, I have no clue as to how to reconstruct & reopen the windows I had open, nor is there any real directions as to how to do it!

Each sub-group says: "save this window", "open links in tabs" & "remove" with no explanation as to what any of that means. Save this window? Save it to where, I want to reopen it, not save it. Open links in tabs, huh? Will that open every tab, or link, as a tab, or? So now I can see all the tabs, but it completely messed up my current layout, closing everything, including what I was in the middle of watching... Why doesn't Safari show more information about each extension, so this kind of mess doesn't happen?

Jul 30, 2019 5:02 PM in response to Marco Klobas

No problem Marco, it's not your fault, Apple needs to give us more info about these extensions, so we aren't just jumping in blind. I even went to the developer's website, and that offered no further help, or even a way of contacting them! Doesn't Apple screen these apps & developers? I know with Opera, and I think Chrome, there's a drop down menu from the toolbar, that has a list of all open tabs, something that's very useful, especially as it stops me from opening another, when I already have that one open on another window, etc.

This Tab Lister set up was ridiculous, and took me a good while to manually open tabs one by one, putting several on every new window, just to get back to where I started from. I'd never seen a tab extension do something like that, without saying it was going to shut all tabs, and move them all to one single window, that makes no sense, and I'd sure like to send the developer my feedback about this mess...

Aug 5, 2019 10:18 AM in response to Niel

Will that do more than just tell you how many tabs are open, or maybe tell you which ones are open only at that moment?

I'm looking for something that will just show all open tabs, at any time, without having to go through a lot of extra steps. Like on Opera, you click one of the toolbar dropdown menus, and an option is there to show a list of all tabs, just like the list of all windows. I'd think Safari would have a similar tool.

safari number of open tabs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.