Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 12.4 Data Transfer

Hi - I just bought a new iPhone XR yesterday and set it up not knowing about IOS12.4 and the data transfer feature. I'm having trouble transferring the contacts from my old iPhone. Is it possible to reset my new iPhone so that I can start over and use the new data transfer feature? Thanks!

Posted on Jul 24, 2019 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2019 4:15 PM

Yes you can wipe the new iPhone down and start again.

See here: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Note: Both iPhones must have iOS 12.4 to use the new Data Transfer feature.

Otherwise use this method: Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2019 4:15 PM in response to mgirl19

Yes you can wipe the new iPhone down and start again.

See here: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Note: Both iPhones must have iOS 12.4 to use the new Data Transfer feature.

Otherwise use this method: Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Jul 24, 2019 4:21 PM in response to mgirl19

Part of the answer lies in if, and where, you have backup of the iPhone. For several previous generations of iPhones, it was also possible to install your previous data to your new phone, including all of it's settings and apps. It was a little complicated, which is probably why Apple decided to make Data Transfer a "new" feature.

@SravanKrA is partially correct, and you could go to your settings and make sure your Accounts are configured correctly; or you could do a complete erase and start over with the data transfer.

IOS 12.4 Data Transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.