Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch not recording swimming distance in open water

Hi there, everybody.

I Recently upgraded my Watch series 2 to a series 3. So far so good, works like a charm.

With the advent of the summer I have started to notice that swimming in open waters doesn’t return any distance, the swimming track however, is properly recorded as can be seen in the attached screenshot.

(The dotted section is breast-stroke) total distance recorded after 15 min 0 m :-(

Depressing.. ;-)

Swimming laps in a swimming pool are recorded correctly. (more or less)

It seems like the gps is working fine but something else, perhaps a setting, is not.

Any idea out there a part from the usual re-setting, un-pairing, re-calibrating? (been there, done that)

Posted on Jul 24, 2019 12:51 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 25, 2019 12:10 PM in response to Gran Maestro

Hi Gran Maestro,

I see that you're having trouble with your Apple Watch tracking distance during an open water swim. I also see that you've already tried some great troubleshooting with calibrating, resetting, and unpairing your Apple Watch. I know it's important for your workouts to be tracked properly; I'd like to help. First, take a look at the information below:

"Get better results

• Your Apple Watch estimates your measurements during workouts based on the information that you entered during setup. Here's how each workout is measured: 
      • Pool Swim: When you start a workout, be sure to accurately set the pool length to help your Apple Watch measure laps and distance. GPS isn't used during a Pool Swim, and water might prevent a heart-rate measurement, but calories, laps, and distance will still be tracked using the built-in accelerometer.
      • Open Water Swim: GPS will only provide distance when you do a freestyle stroke. Water might prevent a heart-rate measurement, but calories will still be tracked using the built-in accelerometer."

Swim with your Apple Watch

Is your Open Water Swim being tracked as Freestyle if you check the Activity app on your iPhone? Do you see your distance recorded there?

"Check your Activity history

You can check your progress for the day on your Apple Watch, or check your entire history from the Activity app on your iPhone.

On your Phone

1. Open the Activity app on your iPhone.
    2. Tap the History tab to see details about your all day activity. On the calendar, a green dot appears next to the days that you worked out.
    3. To see more detail, tap a day.
    4. To get information about a workout, such as your route or total distance, tap the Workouts tab, then tap the item.* "

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Watch not recording swimming distance in open water

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.