Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Line In on 13" MacBook Pro 2017

I am trying to digitize cassettes and vinyl. I had read that I could hook my amp/cassette deck up to my MacBook Pro (13" 2017) via a 3.5mm to RCA cable connected to the headphone port on the laptop and the Tape Output on my amp or cassette deck.

However, the headphone out on the laptop is not recognizing the cable and therefore I am not able to switch the headphone port to a line in. Is it possible to do so somehow or can I use the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter to make my Thunderbolt ports a line in? I want the best resolution possible.

FYI, I am planning to use either Audacity or Garage Band to convert the cassettes to digital files.

Thanks for the help.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 24, 2019 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2019 10:17 PM

Cdemeo1 wrote:
Thanks again for taking the time to try and help solve this. I looked into the link you provided and it seems this one is also a mono input only according to the manufacturer.

Is it possible that the 3.5mm mini-Jack needs to be 4-pole to trigger the headphone out to switch to an input? Or is it a solid fact that the headphone out on these computers are now strictly output only?

At least since my MacBook Pro, which came out in 2012. I looked up the specs for my 2007 MacBook, which seems to state that is has a line in. It also has a mini-Toslink optical input, which some people found stuck in that mode where it wouldn't accept line level in or output line level out.

MacBook (13-inch, Late 2007) - Technical Specifications
Audio Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital audio input/audio line in, combined optical digital audio output/headphone out

I know my iPad Mini 4 can use a headset, so Apple still knows how to do microphone in However, that's also a mono mic input where it's a typical 3 segment plug.

About the only thing I can find is that Griffin claims that their iMic does stereo line level in. It also has a manual switch to select between input and output. I guess it can't do both simultaneously.

https://griffintechnology.com/products/audio/imic-usb-audio-adapter

However, I'm not sure who sells them. Griffin says they're unavailable, and Amazon says they don't know when it's going to be available. Sounds like it's been discontinued. There are several for sale on eBay.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2019 10:17 PM in response to Cdemeo1

Cdemeo1 wrote:
Thanks again for taking the time to try and help solve this. I looked into the link you provided and it seems this one is also a mono input only according to the manufacturer.

Is it possible that the 3.5mm mini-Jack needs to be 4-pole to trigger the headphone out to switch to an input? Or is it a solid fact that the headphone out on these computers are now strictly output only?

At least since my MacBook Pro, which came out in 2012. I looked up the specs for my 2007 MacBook, which seems to state that is has a line in. It also has a mini-Toslink optical input, which some people found stuck in that mode where it wouldn't accept line level in or output line level out.

MacBook (13-inch, Late 2007) - Technical Specifications
Audio Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital audio input/audio line in, combined optical digital audio output/headphone out

I know my iPad Mini 4 can use a headset, so Apple still knows how to do microphone in However, that's also a mono mic input where it's a typical 3 segment plug.

About the only thing I can find is that Griffin claims that their iMic does stereo line level in. It also has a manual switch to select between input and output. I guess it can't do both simultaneously.

https://griffintechnology.com/products/audio/imic-usb-audio-adapter

However, I'm not sure who sells them. Griffin says they're unavailable, and Amazon says they don't know when it's going to be available. Sounds like it's been discontinued. There are several for sale on eBay.

Jul 24, 2019 6:08 PM in response to Cdemeo1

Further update. I purchased the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack adapter. Apple store guy said it would work. It does not work. Useless.

Is there a way to create a line in on my 2017 Apple 13" MacBook Pro? Seems like a major oversight on Apple's part if that is not the case. Seriously. For as much as these things cost there should be a simple way to achieve a line input.

Jul 24, 2019 7:18 PM in response to Cdemeo1

Cdemeo1 wrote:
Thanks for the reply! This one only supports mono. Is there anything that can do stereo? So disappointed in this situation.

I was checking away from home and all I had was an iPhone. For some reason there are almost no options for formatting on this forum when on an iPhone.

I checked what my mid-2012 non-Retina MacBook Pro has, and that's only a headphone jack. At work I use a gaming headset which basically has a USB device on one end like the adapter I mentioned. The mic is mono but the headphone portion is stereo.

I guess there aren't necessarily that many applications for stereo microphones. Most recordings are done in mono. I haven't heard of too many stereo mic setups except maybe for symphonic recordings. In a studio they seem to use mono microphones, then mix it for stereo effect.

This one seems to have a stereo line-in:

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Headphone-Microphone-Aluminum-Compatible/dp/B00NMXY2MO

It's USB-A though, so you would need an adapter or hub to connect to USB-C.

Jul 24, 2019 9:00 PM in response to y_p_w

Audio Line In on 13" MacBook Pro 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.