Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't open pdf when I use MacBook

I can't open pdf when I use my MacBook. In particular, when I see my messages (containing pdf files) in Whatsapp or Telegram (through Safari) I try to open them (or save them) but Safari don't open them and reply me that is impossible writing me "Safari can't open the page". If I try with my iPhone I don't have any problem. What may be the solution?

Thanks for your supply

Posted on Jul 25, 2019 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2019 10:45 AM

Can you use the share menu and email them to yourself?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2019 10:45 AM in response to claudicante

Can you use the share menu and email them to yourself?

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Jul 27, 2019 11:17 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

first of all thanks a lot for your support.

I tried changing account and starting in "safe mode". When I changed account I opened "whatsapp web" (as telegram web) and after I tried to download a pdf file. I managed to open it. Then I returned in my account but when I tried i couldn't open the same file.

After I started operating system in "safe mode" but also in this case I obtained the same result.

With another account I can see pdf, with my account (and I am the administrator) I couldn't see it.

A thing I discovered is the fact that with my account, when I try to download a file, it open a new tab and reply with an error string. With other account the file downloading go to the “download icon” starting the blue download line (and when I enter in download folder I can open pdf file correctly)

I think it depends on some setting in my account but I didn't understand how I can risolve my problem.

Thanks for your patience

Jul 30, 2019 8:49 AM in response to claudicante

Are you opening the PDF using Preview? If you are downloading the PDF, try using Preview.

It may not help, but try running/posting the Etrecheck report in your normal account. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

I can't open pdf when I use MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.