You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not switching from Wifi to Cellular internet on IOS 12.4.1

After upgrading to IOS 12.4.1 several apps will not switch from Wifi to cellular data when I leave the Wifi area I am connecting to. (Just has message on top of screen "no internet") I even try closing the app and reopening it but it still will not work. Is it an IOS glitch or an app glitch?

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 8:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 12:38 PM

If this is limited to only certain apps check their permission to use cellular data. Settings/<app name>/Cellular Data

4 replies

Jul 29, 2019 6:46 PM in response to JD_Zig

Just a really wild guess because you have not given much description yet... But the mention of Skype and open apps might be the clue. Is this something you notice because the app is open and in use as you leave WiFi coverage, and you notice a break in service? There might be a short delay when you get to the point where WiFi still exists but the signal is too weak to sustain data transfer, before the signal drops completely and routing shifts to cellular. This would probably be more noticeable in apps with heavy continuous/real-time data like Skype but you might not notice it so easily in something like email. See if that gives you any clues.

There is also a setting under Settings/ Cellular (Mobile) Data for WiFi Assist which allows connectivity to fall back to cellular when WiFi is poor rather than waiting for a complete dropout.

Not switching from Wifi to Cellular internet on IOS 12.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.