Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my phone use cellular data on my apps when I am connected to my home wifi?

When it says it is connected and I turn off the cellular data on the app, I can't use the app because i'm not connected to cellular data yet my wifi is there doing nothing. It says it is connected to my home wifi in settings and when i click wifi, it appears to search for networks but no other networks show up, not even my home wifi.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 11:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 11:06 PM

If your WiFi is not connected to the internet and you have enabled WiFi Assist then the apps will use the Cellular data.

Connecting to Wifi is the first part and then getting connected to the Internet is the second

1. If you connect to Wifi, doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to the internet. If you are not connected to wifi could be a problem with iPhone settings or Router/Modem Settings
  2. If you are not connected to the internet is the sole issue of Router / Modem Settings. Contact your ISP immediately

Check your WiFi Router / Modem for --> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points ...

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 11:06 PM in response to yuanj

If your WiFi is not connected to the internet and you have enabled WiFi Assist then the apps will use the Cellular data.

Connecting to Wifi is the first part and then getting connected to the Internet is the second

1. If you connect to Wifi, doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to the internet. If you are not connected to wifi could be a problem with iPhone settings or Router/Modem Settings
  2. If you are not connected to the internet is the sole issue of Router / Modem Settings. Contact your ISP immediately

Check your WiFi Router / Modem for --> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points ...

Why does my phone use cellular data on my apps when I am connected to my home wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.