Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes could not backup the iphone because an error occurred while reading from or writing to the iphone

Hi. 1) After clicking manually back up and restore to this computer, I waited for way too long only to be told- "itunes could not backup the iphone because an error occurred while reading from or writing to the iphone"

2) Updated Iphone - I waited for way too long only to be told- "itunes could not backup the iphone because an error occurred while reading from or writing to the iphone"

3) Reinstalled iTunes- I waited for way too long only to be told- "itunes could not backup the iphone because an error occurred while reading from or writing to the iphone"

4) no old backup located, (why would there be if I uninstalled Itunes?) Checked all my apps to make sure they are current. Left my phone unlocked. I waited for way too long only to be told- "itunes could not backup the iphone because an error occurred while reading from or writing to the iphone"

5) Disabled antivirus, authorised this computer again, checked my disc space deleted files to free up space oh but how much space do I need? who knows? And guess what? I waited for way too long only to be told- "itunes could not backup the iphone because an error occurred while reading from or writing to the iphone"

Why cant I have simple answers to the below questions and WTF does it have to be such a complete mission just to back up my old iPhone for the new one- WTF did I even buy a new IPhone?

1) How much space does my computer require?

2) What are the requirements to make a successful backup?

3) What are the EXACT requirements to restore a backup SUCCESSFULLY?

4) Why do I have go through all this BS ??

On all of the forums I get- "try this, try that"

We have probably the MOST advanced technology on the planet in Apple products, I can send messages instantly around the world, I can FaceTime people not even on the same timeline instantly. blah blah blah.

But update your phone or think about backing it up and now its a guessing game??? FFS.

iPhone XR

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 11:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2019 8:27 PM

If your iTunes backup couldn't be completed or you can't restore from a backup

If you need help with an iTunes backup of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, learn what to do.

If you need help after you back up your device with iTunes or restore from an iTunes backup, use the steps in this article.

Try again after each step

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, then select your device in iTunes. If your device doesn't appear in iTunes, you need to fix that issue before you can continue. Or, if you forgot your passcode or your device is disabled, learn what to do
  3. Turn off both your computer and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Then turn them on again.
  4. If you use a Mac, skip this step. If you use a Windows PC and iTunes won't respond or your backup never finishes, you might need to update, change, disable, or uninstall your security software.
  5. If you own more than one computer, try to make a backup on your other Mac or PC. Or, use iCloud to back up your device and restore from your iCloud backup.
  6. If you see an alert that says an error occurred, your backup is corrupt or incompatible, or there's not enough disk space, find your error message below to learn what to do next.
  7. Contact Apple Support.

If an alert says that an error occurred

If a message says that iTunes can't back up your device because an error occurred, check that you have the latest version of iOS. Then open the App Store on your iOS device, tap Updates, and make sure that all of your device's apps are updated. If you need more help, contact Apple Support.

If an alert says there's not enough disk space

If a message says there’s not enough disk space when you try to back up your device, free some space on your Mac or PC. If you still see a disk-space error after you free enough space, contact Apple Support

If an alert says that your backup is corrupt or incompatible

If iTunes can't restore from a backup because the backup is corrupt or incompatible, make sure that iTunes is updated. If you see an error that says your iOS software is too old, find out how to update your device to restore the backup. If you still can't restore the backup, you might not be able to use that backup. Try to use an alternate backup or an iCloud backup, or Contact Apple Support for more help.

If your iTunes backup couldn't be completed or you can't restore from a ...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203271

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2019 8:27 PM in response to reecefromoh

If your iTunes backup couldn't be completed or you can't restore from a backup

If you need help with an iTunes backup of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, learn what to do.

If you need help after you back up your device with iTunes or restore from an iTunes backup, use the steps in this article.

Try again after each step

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Connect your device to your computer with a USB cable, then select your device in iTunes. If your device doesn't appear in iTunes, you need to fix that issue before you can continue. Or, if you forgot your passcode or your device is disabled, learn what to do
  3. Turn off both your computer and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Then turn them on again.
  4. If you use a Mac, skip this step. If you use a Windows PC and iTunes won't respond or your backup never finishes, you might need to update, change, disable, or uninstall your security software.
  5. If you own more than one computer, try to make a backup on your other Mac or PC. Or, use iCloud to back up your device and restore from your iCloud backup.
  6. If you see an alert that says an error occurred, your backup is corrupt or incompatible, or there's not enough disk space, find your error message below to learn what to do next.
  7. Contact Apple Support.

If an alert says that an error occurred

If a message says that iTunes can't back up your device because an error occurred, check that you have the latest version of iOS. Then open the App Store on your iOS device, tap Updates, and make sure that all of your device's apps are updated. If you need more help, contact Apple Support.

If an alert says there's not enough disk space

If a message says there’s not enough disk space when you try to back up your device, free some space on your Mac or PC. If you still see a disk-space error after you free enough space, contact Apple Support

If an alert says that your backup is corrupt or incompatible

If iTunes can't restore from a backup because the backup is corrupt or incompatible, make sure that iTunes is updated. If you see an error that says your iOS software is too old, find out how to update your device to restore the backup. If you still can't restore the backup, you might not be able to use that backup. Try to use an alternate backup or an iCloud backup, or Contact Apple Support for more help.

If your iTunes backup couldn't be completed or you can't restore from a ...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203271

itunes could not backup the iphone because an error occurred while reading from or writing to the iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.