Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't restore backup even though it takes less than storage

Hello community,

I had an issue with my iPhone 11 128GB, similar to this one:

Voice Memos Taking Up Significant Storage - Apple Community

I managed to do a backup of my phone to PC, as it have been at 127.9/128GB capacity.

Backup took 120GB space on my computer.

I erased my phone entirely, and tried to restore the backup to the device. I got several error messages saying that this is impossible due to a lack of space on my phone.

I managed to restore the backup to my old phone, iPhone 7 256GB, backup after restoration took about 70GB on the device.

I tried to move the data back to my iPhone 11 via configuring a new phone from the old one being next to it, yet still got messages that there is not enough space to do a restore.

Same story happened when I re-backuped the iPhone 7 and tried to restore it to my iPhone 11. Backup takes 70GB space and it says it can't fit on a 128GB phone, which is ridiculous.

Please tell me if there is a way to fix it, if backing up and restoring via iCloud would help and or what else can I try to bring it back to work.

I feel really bad with this, especially that it is caused by Apple's error in the first place and caused me a lot of data, time and money loss.

Definitely not what I experienced from an Apple environment until now. I really hope someone helps me to manage this issue, as it is very frustrating.

Thanks,

369Cookie777

iPhone 11

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 7:46 AM

If you have already set up the new iPhone then the data created during this period will be lost if you use any of the three processes given below

iPhone to iPhone, there are three ways,

1. Quick Transfer --> Use QuickStart to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod ...
  2. Restore from iCloud Backup --> Restore or set up your device from an iCloud backup - Apple ...
  3. Restore from iTunes backup --> Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in iTunes on PC ...

Instead, try transferring data manually. One by One

1. If your old iPhone had iCloud enabled Optimised storage enabled then please do the same on the new device too. Check if you have enough iCloud Storage if you are using another Apple ID.
  2. Messages, Media, Voice Memo, Keychain --> Turn on Messages in iCloudiCloud Photos, Voice Memo, Keychain, and your content is automatically stored in iCloud and is available on all devices that use the same Apple ID including iCloud Drive
  3. Contacts --> Contacts are not stored on an iPhone nor on SIM, they are synced to  Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other. Use the email account that is in your old iPhone.
  4. Notes, Reminders, Calendars --> You may sync all these from any of the email accounts that you have on your old iPhone. they can be synced using  Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other.
  5. Any Specific Files --> Upload to Cloud Drives (iCloud Drive, Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, Flickr, box, AmazonDrive, Adobe Creative Cloud and Use Files app on your new iPhone too.
  6. Apps & Settings --> In any way they have to be redownloaded using the App Store. Even you had used any of the 3 processes mentioned earlier. Apart from the Apps following will also not get transferred.
    1. Content from the iTunes and App Stores or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
    2. Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
    3. Data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages
    4. Face ID or Touch ID settings
    5. Apple Pay information and settings
    6. Apple Mail data
    7. Apple Music
  7. WhatsApp --> Take a backup of chats and media from within the WhatsApp App. Use the same Phone number as that of your earlier iPhone and activate the account in the new iPhone too. That's it.
  8. Shazam Account --> Access your Shazams on all your devices or online - Apple ...

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2022 7:46 AM in response to 369Cookie777

If you have already set up the new iPhone then the data created during this period will be lost if you use any of the three processes given below

iPhone to iPhone, there are three ways,

1. Quick Transfer --> Use QuickStart to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod ...
  2. Restore from iCloud Backup --> Restore or set up your device from an iCloud backup - Apple ...
  3. Restore from iTunes backup --> Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in iTunes on PC ...

Instead, try transferring data manually. One by One

1. If your old iPhone had iCloud enabled Optimised storage enabled then please do the same on the new device too. Check if you have enough iCloud Storage if you are using another Apple ID.
  2. Messages, Media, Voice Memo, Keychain --> Turn on Messages in iCloudiCloud Photos, Voice Memo, Keychain, and your content is automatically stored in iCloud and is available on all devices that use the same Apple ID including iCloud Drive
  3. Contacts --> Contacts are not stored on an iPhone nor on SIM, they are synced to  Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other. Use the email account that is in your old iPhone.
  4. Notes, Reminders, Calendars --> You may sync all these from any of the email accounts that you have on your old iPhone. they can be synced using  Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other.
  5. Any Specific Files --> Upload to Cloud Drives (iCloud Drive, Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, Flickr, box, AmazonDrive, Adobe Creative Cloud and Use Files app on your new iPhone too.
  6. Apps & Settings --> In any way they have to be redownloaded using the App Store. Even you had used any of the 3 processes mentioned earlier. Apart from the Apps following will also not get transferred.
    1. Content from the iTunes and App Stores or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
    2. Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
    3. Data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages
    4. Face ID or Touch ID settings
    5. Apple Pay information and settings
    6. Apple Mail data
    7. Apple Music
  7. WhatsApp --> Take a backup of chats and media from within the WhatsApp App. Use the same Phone number as that of your earlier iPhone and activate the account in the new iPhone too. That's it.
  8. Shazam Account --> Access your Shazams on all your devices or online - Apple ...

Can't restore backup even though it takes less than storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.