Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice Memos Taking Up Significant Storage

Hi all,

For some reason, my Voice Memos app is taking up a whopping 27GB on my iPhone XR. I tried deleting all the voice memos on my phone, and I'm still getting the same result. I've also tried resetting it a few times. I'm about to try to restore it from a backup, but if anyone else has other ideas or has run into this before, please let me know. Thanks!

iPhone XR

Posted on Apr 15, 2022 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 4:34 PM

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue. My iPhone (8 - 256GB capacity) is saying it is pretty much full with Voice Memos taking 49TB (which is impossible). So far I have tried:

• removing all files from the Voice Memos app
  • deleting the Voice Memos app (after this, iPhone storage still showed com.apple.VoiceMemos taking the same space as before - 49TB)
  • reinstalled the Voice Memos app (and now I can't even open it, it crashes every single time I try to open it)
  • resetting my iPhone settings (including restarting the phone multiple time)

None of these have worked.

Please provide guidance on how to fix this issue asap. Now I can't use my phone as it constantly throws messages about your iPhone is full, manage storage, etc.

68 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2022 4:34 PM in response to Kobozo

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue. My iPhone (8 - 256GB capacity) is saying it is pretty much full with Voice Memos taking 49TB (which is impossible). So far I have tried:

• removing all files from the Voice Memos app
  • deleting the Voice Memos app (after this, iPhone storage still showed com.apple.VoiceMemos taking the same space as before - 49TB)
  • reinstalled the Voice Memos app (and now I can't even open it, it crashes every single time I try to open it)
  • resetting my iPhone settings (including restarting the phone multiple time)

None of these have worked.

Please provide guidance on how to fix this issue asap. Now I can't use my phone as it constantly throws messages about your iPhone is full, manage storage, etc.

Apr 19, 2022 11:18 AM in response to Kobozo

Hello Kobozo,

Thanks for the screenshot! It does appear to be a miscalculation of some kind. Next, what iOS version do you have installed on your iPhone? Are there any updates available at all?

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

In some cases, creating a backup and then restoring from that backup can help resolve some issues like this as well.

We hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction.

Take care.

Apr 20, 2022 1:32 PM in response to MikeyMike57

I am experiencing the same issue. I have iphone 12 pro with the latest iOS version

1. I used to have data in voice memo app
  2. I deleted all of the data once I found that it was taking 100G in my iphone
  3. I was still able to see the data taking up space in storage page so I deleted the app
  4. Now I see the same screen like this post with deleted app thumbnail.

This is taking almost half of my storage. Is there a way to fix this?

I dont think this will be cleared after 30 days as it has been over a month on my end.

Apr 19, 2022 11:07 AM in response to Jaym_8

That is a good point, I forgot to check that. Unfortunately, though, that isn’t the issue since the space remains taken up even after I delete the app. Also, I added up the combined storage taken up by all the voice memos I had before (I exported them to my MacBook), and it adds up to roughly 1.2 GB. Even if the voice memos were still all on my phone, it wouldn’t add up.

I’m wondering if the iPhone is misattributing the consumed storage to Voice Memos when it should be attributed to something else more substantial like Photos. I’m going to test that later when I can properly import my photos to my Dell laptop.

This picture shows how the app’s storage appears on my device after I delete the app.

Jun 11, 2022 3:01 PM in response to Kobozo

hi, I am struggling with the same issue. I don’t believe I saw a solution in the comments. I’ve tried hard resets and everything. The app is deleted off my phone but somehow says it’s taking 1.6 TB of space. That’s impossible! Haha But I’m having trouble now with doing anything on my phone because I don’t have the space. Any recommendations?

Apr 17, 2022 6:22 AM in response to Kobozo

Hello Kobozo,

After you deleted the Voice Memos, did you clear them out of the Recently Deleted folder as well? If not, they'll still take up space until they automatically clear out of that folder in 30 days.

In the Voice Memos app select the back button at the top left and see if you have a Recently Deleted folder showing. If you do, and there's items in there you'll want to clear them out to free up that space.

Edit or delete a recording in Voice Memos on iPhone

Cheers!

Apr 6, 2023 5:45 PM in response to katarina39

I spoke to a support rep, they informed me this bug was patched on a release, and because I deleted the app, the patch was not installed. Eventually it “sorted itself out” not sure what resolved everything.

• im a software engineer on an operating system and I was happy to hear they were on top of this, the rep was informative and helpful, and really helped alleviate the stress. -hope this self resolves itself with you as well

Voice Memos Taking Up Significant Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.