You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri on HomePod controls wrong lights

About a month ago, despite resetting HomeKit twice, Siri on my HomePod defaults the lights to the Dining Room regardless of the room I place it in. So commands like, "Hey Siri, turn on the lights" or "Hey Siri, turn off the lights" don't turn on and off the lights in the actual room the HomePod is in -- it always defaults to the Dining Room light.

Example: in the Living Room, I say, "hey Siri, turn on the lights," and she gives feedback of "OK, the lights are on," and turns on the Dining Room light. I double-check the Home app and the HomePod is showing up in the Living Room. I ask the HomePod what room it is in and it gives no response. If I say, "Hey Siri, turn off the Living Room lights," she turns them off but gives no response as if it's the room she's in.

This is incredibly frustrating, because natural commands like turning the lights on and off are no longer available. Resetting HomeKit and re-setting up the entire house did not work. The HomePod still only will control the Dining Room light. Same thing if I move the HomePod to a different room of the house (bedroom) in the Home app -- still only the Dining Room light. And if I take the Dining Room light out of HomeKit -- she will still say "OK, I turned on the lights" but not turn on any lights.

Why can I not give natural commands anymore to Siri on HomePod?

HomePod

Posted on Jul 28, 2019 1:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2019 8:56 PM

Your lights need to be assigned to rooms and match with the same room names in home-kit, you’re not looking to assign lights to rooms the HomePod is in.

You dont say which lights you have. You need to research that brand, see if it has an app to guide you through set up.

I have Philips hue lights and the supplementary hue App to set up my lights from the start. I set each bulb to the room it was in . The bridge was the only accessory I set up in home app. The bridge is what’s storing all my settings. Every time I buy a new bulb, it needs a software update and the home app can’t tell me this, the hue app does and performs the update.

Once i had set up all my hue lights in the hue app, they all showed up in home app with correct rooms, I did mess up a few room names and the hue app told me I had a Homekit mismatch and to correct it. The hue app did this for me .

My homepods are flawless with the lights. I can tell my bedroom HomePod to turn on or off the living room lights and my livingroom HomePod can do bedroom lights and vice versa.

I can also use my Apple Watch, iPad or iPhone to give commands. HomePod is just a hub, Siri is just taking commends,

Somewhere you have a mismatch going on. If you’re using a bridge, it would need to be reset also. Since it stores all the settings,

I've not tried other bulbs, I’m sticking with hue since I love how smooth the set up is.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 28, 2019 8:56 PM in response to Daniel Ross-Jones

Your lights need to be assigned to rooms and match with the same room names in home-kit, you’re not looking to assign lights to rooms the HomePod is in.

You dont say which lights you have. You need to research that brand, see if it has an app to guide you through set up.

I have Philips hue lights and the supplementary hue App to set up my lights from the start. I set each bulb to the room it was in . The bridge was the only accessory I set up in home app. The bridge is what’s storing all my settings. Every time I buy a new bulb, it needs a software update and the home app can’t tell me this, the hue app does and performs the update.

Once i had set up all my hue lights in the hue app, they all showed up in home app with correct rooms, I did mess up a few room names and the hue app told me I had a Homekit mismatch and to correct it. The hue app did this for me .

My homepods are flawless with the lights. I can tell my bedroom HomePod to turn on or off the living room lights and my livingroom HomePod can do bedroom lights and vice versa.

I can also use my Apple Watch, iPad or iPhone to give commands. HomePod is just a hub, Siri is just taking commends,

Somewhere you have a mismatch going on. If you’re using a bridge, it would need to be reset also. Since it stores all the settings,

I've not tried other bulbs, I’m sticking with hue since I love how smooth the set up is.

Jul 29, 2019 7:43 PM in response to Daniel Ross-Jones

Well I think now, you do have to specify which lights. I just asked Siri on my iPhone to “turn off the lights” and it did all my lights in every room. Except as I said, my HomePods still do it without specifying which room

You can however create Siri shortcuts but I’m no good at advising on shortcuts, you’d have to look that up. Or you can create scenes with the lights in the home app. I tried goodnight and good morning for scenes. Sure it worked but put my lights on a very dim level on the good morning scenes, so I didn’t like that. To specify which scene or shortcut goes to which lights, I suppose the phrasing would have to differ, like turn on the lights vs turn the lights on. Of course that can get confusing on what you’re supposed to say.but you can pick which lights it does though.

as well as using Siri shortcuts, there’s a shortcuts app, but I don’t know if it does home-kit, ios13 promises to improve on the Apple shortcuts app though, I can’t figure out how to use the shortcuts app. You need to look on YouTube at tutorials.

Here’s the app in case you want to take a look at it:

Shortcuts by Apple

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/shortcuts/id915249334

Jul 29, 2019 10:59 AM in response to Vancouver22

Thanks. I use IKEA's Tradfri line for most bulbs, with Luton in-wall switches for some others. In all those apps (included in the re-set), everything is in the correct room. In Home, everything is received in the correct room. In other words, in all the interconnected apps/systems/hubs, everything is in the correct room.

The issue isn't telling HomePod (or Siri on any device), "turn on the lights in the living room" and having the wrong lights turn on. That happens flawlessly. The issue is telling explicitly either the HomePod in the living room or the bedroom (either one) to "turn on the lights." Rather than turning the lights on in that room, it ONLY turns on the lights in the dining room -- for seemingly no reason. If I place any particular light in the dining room, it will turn on that light. If I take a light out of the dining room, then nothing turns on. HomePod recognizes something is wrong with this, as when I give the more generic command, Siri gives me feedback -- but if I specify the room and it's the room HomePod is in, there is no feedback. That was how it used to be before something got screwed up.

tl;dr I want to be able to simply say "Hey Siri, turn on the lights" in the room HomePod is in and have it turn on the lights that HomePod is in. Everything, in Home app and in the individual stand-alone apps, is set up correctly to do just that. Yet, it's not working.

Jul 29, 2019 5:24 PM in response to Daniel Ross-Jones

I’ve gotten a bit lost on what you say isn’t working. 

You say you have some smart wall switches? Is one in the dining room? If so, could it be that it’s the switch that’s gotten muddled up and this is why any bulb works? Could also be why it’s not understanding the correct rooms and always doing the dining room? The switches might have the mismatch. 

Sometimes Siri gives no feedback, just does it. 

As for you wanting to tell the homepod to ”turn on the lights” and this happens with the lights in the same room HomePod is in, yes mine can do that and you’re saying HomePod used to do this but now it doesn’t? Did I see you post about a power outage messing up the homepods? It might help for you to reset the homepods

Make sure all your rooms are spelled exactly the same. I.E: Livingroom vs Living Room. Or simply just try renaming the rooms to see if that helps, making sure they still match with the corresponding lights and switches.

Jul 29, 2019 6:17 PM in response to Vancouver22

That's exactly what I'm saying -- HomePod used to just "turn on the lights" in the room it's in without needing to specify the room. Now when you give that command, it defaults to the Dining Room regardless of whether anything is in the Dining Room. I have reset both HomePod and the whole Home installation two times since the power interruption. I have even done it without re-installing the bridge to the Dining Room Lutron switch (leaving only the Ikea bulbs, the HomePods, and Apple TVs and using the wall switch as a wall switch). In every configuration, I cannot get HomePod to "turn on the lights" in the room it is in without specifying that room.

Can do from Living Room: "Hey Siri, turn on the living room lights" (living room lights turn on)

Can not do and want to do and used to be able to do: "Hey Siri, turn on the lights" (dining room lights turn on, or with nothing installed in the dining room, receive feedback "Hmm, I don't see any device that supports that.")

Siri on HomePod controls wrong lights

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.