You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung monitor no longer goes to high resolution

I have an iMac, about 2015, running Sierra 10.12.6. I have a Samsung 32inch external monitor (2560x1440).

All of a sudden, when I started my computer up this morning, the Samsung does not go to high resolution.

Out of the blue. It's worked perfectly for 2 years. Like it got amnesia.

I go to the usual display set up, and use "Default for display" and the monitor and computer think that the default display is the lesser one.

Help? Thanks.

Posted on Jul 29, 2019 1:51 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jul 29, 2019 3:18 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks. I did not know the trick about the Alt and scaled button.

1. The problem solved itself. I had moved the computer and monitors to the other side of the room, and when I hooked the cables back, the Samsung resolution was lowered. The odd thing is, when I went to the settings on the monitor itself, it said it was 1920.
  2. After unhooking and hooking the cables 3 or 4 times, it worked.
  3. I also have a 24inch HP 1920 monitor. At one point, if the HP was not hooked up, the Samsung worked at 2560. But, when I hooked up the HP, the Samsung went back to 1920.
  4. All very odd. I used HDMI cables and maybe the adaptor momentarily went on the fritz.
  5. Thank you very much for the help.

Samsung monitor no longer goes to high resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.