Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my wife sharing my iTunes content with her different Apple ID

Situation: My Mac is linked with my iPhone X using the same Apple ID. I can access my iTunes music and 'books' (audio) seamlessly.

She has a different iPhone 8 with a different Apple ID. Can she access my audiobooks on my Mac using her ID? or does she need to sign out on her phone, put my ID in and try that way?

I actually did the above and iTunes recognises her phone by displaying it in the sidebar of iTunes. Also when I go SETTINGS, NAME I see that my ID is being used for ITUNES and hers is being used for ICLOUD. Should be all good right?

When I go to drag a title across to her phone it won't drop in there.

What am I doing wrong thanks,

iPhone XR

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 5:50 AM

See Authorization vs. association - Apple Community for the difficulties that can arise when you try to access content from different Apple IDs on the same computer. It is possible that you could Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support to allow you to share each other's purchases, but I'm not certain that audiobooks are included. If she has her own computer you can physically copy the files from one computer to the other, authorize it for protected content if required, and then copy to the device.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2019 5:50 AM in response to brett70a

See Authorization vs. association - Apple Community for the difficulties that can arise when you try to access content from different Apple IDs on the same computer. It is possible that you could Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support to allow you to share each other's purchases, but I'm not certain that audiobooks are included. If she has her own computer you can physically copy the files from one computer to the other, authorize it for protected content if required, and then copy to the device.

tt2

Jul 30, 2019 7:29 AM in response to brett70a

In a roundabout way it comes to the same thing. Apple have things set up such that media on an iPhone can only be managed from a single computer/library, even when manually managing the content. Attempting to add content from a different computer will typically raise an erase and sync warning unless you are using a clone of the library previous used to add media. This is likely why any drag & drop attempt failed. Switching IDs on the device in order to access past purchases from a different account gets you involved in the 90 day association lock.

tt2

my wife sharing my iTunes content with her different Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.