Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This message has no content

Hello,

A few days ago an issue appeared on my iPhone 7, using Mail app on iOS 12.1.2.

The issue is the following:

In one of the 2 accounts in Mail app (IMAP), I lost all the content in all of my emails in Inbox folder ONLY. I can only see the sender and the subject of the email, but the preview says "This message has no content", and once I tap an email to view it in fullscreen, I see the same message - no content.

When I go to any other folders in this account (draft, sent mail, even trash folder, etc.) I see the email normally.

I use the same email accounts on my Mac (Outlook for Mac 2016, v16.16.5), and everything works just fine.

I tried the following fixes that I found online, and none of them helped:

• restarting the mail app
  • removing the email account from my phone and adding it back
  • removing all accounts and deleting Mail app, then reinstalling the app and adding back both accounts
  • restarting iPhone
  • double-checked the Time zone

The other account on my iPhone Mail app works fine.

I downloaded 3 other email apps on my iPhone and all of them show the content in the emails normally, only Mail app seems to have a problem.

The inbox of the account with the problem is quite large (approx. 27.500 emails, approx 15GB), but it worked fine for years on Mail app, and a few days ago the problem occurred without any changes being made on the servers and/or locally, and I cannot find a solution to solve it.

Not to mention, the issue is simply driving me crazy!!!

Thanks for any help!

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 1:23 PM

I am not sure why did you mention the word (IMAP). This leads me to a question, did you ever had pop3 account added on your iPhone. Nevertheless...

1. You do not require any app for accessing iCloud mails. If you have any, delete all of them. There may be some conflicting settings (IMAP / SMTP or POP3) on those apps
  2. Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
  3. Go to Settings > Password & Accounts > Add Accounts > iCloud > Use your Apple ID credentials > Use verification Code > Save

Just a matter of 30-40 secs.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2019 1:23 PM in response to shiv918

I am not sure why did you mention the word (IMAP). This leads me to a question, did you ever had pop3 account added on your iPhone. Nevertheless...

1. You do not require any app for accessing iCloud mails. If you have any, delete all of them. There may be some conflicting settings (IMAP / SMTP or POP3) on those apps
  2. Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
  3. Go to Settings > Password & Accounts > Add Accounts > iCloud > Use your Apple ID credentials > Use verification Code > Save

Just a matter of 30-40 secs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.