Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen iPhone phishing

Hi,

My iPhone was stolen a couple of days ago and I received a text today from ‘apple’ stating that it had been found with findmyiphone. I stupidly followed the link and entered my details and a few minutes later, the device was removed from findmyiphone. I realised quickly that I was phished and changed my Apple ID password.

I have 2 questions I would really appreciate some guidance on:

1) By falling for the phishing attempt, is there any way the thief can gain access to the device itself? I have a lot of sensitive information stored on the phone so this is my main concern. FYI, the phone was protected with a 6 digit passcode and fingerprint ID

2) despite the phone not showing up in find my iPhone, it’s still listed as one of my devices on iCloud.com. The Apple Pay cards still show “pending erase”. Does this mean the phone is still activation locked?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 2:45 PM

If you gave them the Apple ID they can restore the device and change the passcode. You can try to recover your Apple ID but they could have changed al the recovery questions. Recover your Apple ID when you can’t reset your password - Apple Support

Apple ID - Official Apple Support

change your Apple ID password if you already havent

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2019 2:45 PM in response to rambar123

If you gave them the Apple ID they can restore the device and change the passcode. You can try to recover your Apple ID but they could have changed al the recovery questions. Recover your Apple ID when you can’t reset your password - Apple Support

Apple ID - Official Apple Support

change your Apple ID password if you already havent

Jul 30, 2019 3:06 PM in response to askbarnabas

Thanks. I immediately (within 2 minutes) changed the Apple ID password and double checked that none of the recovery questions, email addresses or phone numbers had been changed.

What I would like to understand is whether or not by accessing the iCloud using my Apple ID they would have been able to bypass the device passcode lock? I don’t think so but am not sure.

Also, the phone is still showing on my list of iCloud devices both on my other handset and on iCloud.com although find my iPhone is showing as switched off. What does this mean? Is the phone still linked to my Apple ID? Does that mean it’s still activation locked?

thanks

Stolen iPhone phishing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.