Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive not connecting to Time Capsule

My time capsule hard drive no longer works. I have successfully been using an old hard drive connected via Ethernet to the Time Capsule to act as a Time Machine Backup. I now want to replace it with an External HDD connected via USB through the Time Capsule to act as the Time Machine backup for all the computers on the network. I have formatted it to MacOS Extended, it sees the drive but says there is an internal error. I ignore the error and try and connect through System Preferences/Time Machine , and get this error:

Time Machine can't connect to the backup disk. The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)

Can anyone explain this and suggest a way to overcome it.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 6:15 AM

I now want to replace it with an External HDD connected via USB through the Time Capsule to act as the Time Machine backup for all the computers on the network.

I would not recommend that you do this. Several reasons.

1) If the hard drive has failed on the Time Capsule, this indicates that the product is likely 4-5 years old, maybe much much older, so the electronics may be starting to head downhill as well. If you can tell us what model number of Time Capsule you have, we can tell you a lot more about how old it might be and if there are any particular troublesome aspects about that version of the Time Capsule.

2) The USB port on the Time Capsule is an ancient long of out date slow USB 2.0 design. On top of the that, the internal processing limits the speed at the USB port to about half that of normal (slow) USB 2.0. So, you will discover a new meaning for the word "S---L---O---W" if you decide to give this a try.

3) Because of the old of date design of the USB 2.0 port on the Time Capsule, it may or may not work well with newer USB 3.0 hard drives.

4) The USB port on the Time Capsule is underpowered. It is very likely that you will need to add a powered USB hub to the Time Capsule.....even if the hard drive has its own power supply. This may be one of the problems that you have now.

Sorry that this information may not be what you want to hear, but it might be important to understand that at best, your backup plan is going to result in very very slow performance......and......this type of setup is going to be a lot less than reliable.

If you want to back up your Macs over a network, I would suggest that you take a look at a good NAS product, like Synology. Otherwise, the simplest, fastest, and most reliable backup method is to simply connect a new external hard drive directly to your Mac(s).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2019 6:15 AM in response to pmedl

I now want to replace it with an External HDD connected via USB through the Time Capsule to act as the Time Machine backup for all the computers on the network.

I would not recommend that you do this. Several reasons.

1) If the hard drive has failed on the Time Capsule, this indicates that the product is likely 4-5 years old, maybe much much older, so the electronics may be starting to head downhill as well. If you can tell us what model number of Time Capsule you have, we can tell you a lot more about how old it might be and if there are any particular troublesome aspects about that version of the Time Capsule.

2) The USB port on the Time Capsule is an ancient long of out date slow USB 2.0 design. On top of the that, the internal processing limits the speed at the USB port to about half that of normal (slow) USB 2.0. So, you will discover a new meaning for the word "S---L---O---W" if you decide to give this a try.

3) Because of the old of date design of the USB 2.0 port on the Time Capsule, it may or may not work well with newer USB 3.0 hard drives.

4) The USB port on the Time Capsule is underpowered. It is very likely that you will need to add a powered USB hub to the Time Capsule.....even if the hard drive has its own power supply. This may be one of the problems that you have now.

Sorry that this information may not be what you want to hear, but it might be important to understand that at best, your backup plan is going to result in very very slow performance......and......this type of setup is going to be a lot less than reliable.

If you want to back up your Macs over a network, I would suggest that you take a look at a good NAS product, like Synology. Otherwise, the simplest, fastest, and most reliable backup method is to simply connect a new external hard drive directly to your Mac(s).

Jul 31, 2019 3:03 AM in response to pmedl

My time capsule hard drive no longer works.

What version of the TC and about how old?

I have successfully been using an old hard drive connected via Ethernet to the Time Capsule to act as a Time Machine Backup.

An ethernet connected hard disk is actually a NAS or something totally separate to the TC.. the TC is actually unrelated.. except in providing network connectivity.

What model is the Ethernet connected hard disk??

Time Machine can't connect to the backup disk. The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)

This is a network error..

Reset the TC to factory and reconfigure it from scratch.. Make sure you use all new names.. short no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Passwords same rules but can be longer. If it still has issues post screenshots because it is configured poorly with whatever is the main router on the network.

I now want to replace it with an External HDD connected via USB through the Time Capsule to act as the Time Machine backup

Possible but extremely slow. And far less reliable than the internal TC disk.

You might be better replacing the internal drive.

Need that extra info to help.

Hard drive not connecting to Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.