Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is text invisble when copy/paste from one spreadsheet to another in Numbers?

I have a spreadsheet w/two columns of data that I am trying to copy/paste into another. The text in one column is visible, but the text in the other is not. Never had this problem before. Anyone got a fix?

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 1:10 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 1, 2019 7:46 PM in response to blotter

Some tests to try:

If you click on a cell to which you have pasted, do you see anything in the box at the lower left of the document window:

If you enter the formula shown below (in a convenient cell (NOT in the column to which you are pasting), and change the C3 reference to match a cell to which you have pasted content, but that appears to be empty, do you get a number other than zero?

What happens if you paste the copied data into a different table or into a table in a different document?

Check the text format settings for the cells in the column to which you are pasting for any colour of size or other setting which may affect the visibility of the text. Compare the settings to those in the cells from which the data has been copied.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 7, 2019 12:03 PM in response to blotter

I'm still leaning toward a format setting being the cause of the 'invisible' text.

Take another look at the Text format panel when the 'invisible text' cell is selected. In particular, check the setting indicated by the red arrow.

With the 'invisible text' cell still celected, click the color well (rectangle to the left of the 'beach ball', and choose a different colour from the palete that opens.

Any change in the selected cell?

The formula mentioned in my earlier reply was a simple cell reference to the subject cell.

Click an empty cell, type = t open the Formula Editor, click the subject cell, click the green check mark to confirm the formula and close the editor.

Intended to confirm text is the subject cell, but unfortunately, it retains the format of that text as well.

Regards.

Barry

Aug 7, 2019 12:44 PM in response to Barry

My closing comments (regarding the 'missing formula' triggered a further thought. I attempted to add what's below as an edit, but the edit (time) wndow closed before I finished, so it's here as a reply:

Did a further test:

In the table above:

All cells in column D have their text format set as shown in the Inspector in the previous post (text colour set to white, all other settings left as default).

No changes to default formats were made in any of the other cells.

No cells except A8 and B8 have any content at the beginning of the listed steps below.

Original content:

I selected cell A8 and entered the text A8 text. As this cell in in a Header column, it was automatically formatted as bold.

I selected cell B8 and entered the text B8text.

A8 text: Clicked twice on cell A8 to select it, then to place the insertion point in the cell.

Pressed command-A to select all text in the cell, then command-C to copy.

Clicked once on cell C8 to select it, then pressed commend-V to paste.

Clicked once on cell D8 to select it, then pressed command-V to paste.

B8text: Clicked once on cell B8 to select it. Pressed command-C to copy the cell.

Clicked once on cell C9 toselect it, then pressed Command-V to Paste.

Clicked once on cell D9 toselect it, then pressed Command-V to Paste.

Note the single difference in the two procedures, and the difference in results.

Regards.

Barry

Aug 7, 2019 9:10 AM in response to Barry

Q: If you click on a cell to which you have pasted, do you see anything in the box at the lower left of the document window?

A: Yes. the text appears in lower left document window, just not the cell.

Q: If you enter the formula shown below (in a convenient cell (NOT in the column to which you are pasting), and change the C3 reference to match a cell to which you have pasted content, but that appears to be empty, do you get a number other than zero?

A: What formula? You didn't give one. The data I am trying to copy/paste is not formula based. It is just text.

Q: What happens if you paste the copied data into a different table or into a table in a different document?

A: It appears in the cell both when copied/pasted to a different cell within sheet originally in as well as a newly created sheet.

Q: Check the text format settings for the cells in the column to which you are pasting for any colour of size or other setting which may affect the visibility of the text. Compare the settings to those in the cells from which the data has been copied.

A: I did. They are the same.

thanks

Why is text invisble when copy/paste from one spreadsheet to another in Numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.