Data pasted into Numbers copied from Google Sheets is getting transposed and missing

Hi,

I regularly copy a section of a Google Sheets spreadsheet into a Numbers document

Since updating to Sonoma, when attempting to do this same task, the information is getting transposed a bit, but also missing quite a bit. If I copy a section that includes data from three rows, when pasting into Numbers it will only paste into one column and only a few of the cells appear.

Update - Now, all of the data appears, but in a single cell and every cell that was copied is showing as a new line within that cell.

Maybe someone knows about the problem already?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 4:16 PM

This is at least the third time in about two weeks that someone has reported this issue in this forum. Someone had success passing data to Excel before shipping it to Numbers, but that's an unpleasant workaround. Let's hope Apple soon fixes the clipboard glitch in an update (or let Google know that a new protocol has been established).

As for what you reported in your update, the reason is very simple: you pasted in a cell that was in edit mode, i.e. the cursor was flashing in it. You can do that within Numbers, no need for external data.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2023 4:16 PM in response to randolph1

This is at least the third time in about two weeks that someone has reported this issue in this forum. Someone had success passing data to Excel before shipping it to Numbers, but that's an unpleasant workaround. Let's hope Apple soon fixes the clipboard glitch in an update (or let Google know that a new protocol has been established).

As for what you reported in your update, the reason is very simple: you pasted in a cell that was in edit mode, i.e. the cursor was flashing in it. You can do that within Numbers, no need for external data.

Oct 15, 2023 6:46 AM in response to randolph1

Copy-pasting from a Google Sheet to Numbers does seem to give unexpected results on my machine too.

Try selecting the cells in Google Sheets, command-c to copy, click on the canvas of a sheet in Numbers (i.e not in the cell of an existing table , and command-v to paste. That should create a new table. From there you can copy-paste elsewhere if needed.

SG

Data pasted into Numbers copied from Google Sheets is getting transposed and missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.