Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers pastes a row of text into one cell

If I copy a row of text from a table and try to paste that row in the same, or any other table, the entire row of text is pasted into one cell in the destination table.

I cant figure out why this is happening or how to prevent it. Hoping someone can help.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 8:03 PM

Do you have any apps that assist with keyboard stuff or with copy/paste or the clipboard? In other words, any app that might affect what goes onto the clipboard during Copy or how it Pastes; any app that runs in the background that has anything to do with the keyboard or clipboard? There have been problems in the past due to these apps and Numbers.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2022 8:03 PM in response to Sean Chandler

Do you have any apps that assist with keyboard stuff or with copy/paste or the clipboard? In other words, any app that might affect what goes onto the clipboard during Copy or how it Pastes; any app that runs in the background that has anything to do with the keyboard or clipboard? There have been problems in the past due to these apps and Numbers.

Aug 15, 2022 2:42 PM in response to Sean Chandler

You do not have to do anything special to copy/paste between tables in Numbers. All you need to do is single click to select the destination cell that will be the top left cell of the ones to paste into. Do not double click the cell. When you double click you are entering "text edit" mode and it will paste all the text from the clipboard into that one cell, as you have discovered.

Aug 15, 2022 5:11 PM in response to Sean Chandler

are you able to share a MODIFIED version of the source file? If you are, please email the file to the first letter of my first name at my last name dot net.

I will try on my side to see if I can duplicate the issue and suggest a way to fix it.

One suggestion is to paste into text edit, then copy from there to Numbers.

Another suggestion is to paste into a new mail, then copy from there to Numbers.

Numbers pastes a row of text into one cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.