Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook suddenly extremely slow

My MacBook suddenly began to run extremely slowly, to the point of not being able to carry out simple tasks like browsing the internet. I managed to install Etrecheck and have attached the results of the report. Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 9:44 AM

Your drive appears to be failing. The test normally completes in about 3 minutes, and your took over 20 minutes. Also your I/O test timed out (failed).

Re: backups--

If you submit your Mac to Apple, and they replace the drive, it is likely to return to you with only MacOS, and none of your files. That is why I was asking about what copies you have, and whether that is enough. MacOS can be re-installed form Apple in a bit over an hour, as a perfect replica of itself (it does not self-modify). Your files are different matter.

It certainly appears your Mac needs service. You can run the diagnostic by holding D-for-diagnostic at startup, and waiting for it to download and run. or you can just make an appointment and bring it in.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2019 9:44 AM in response to jayplattuk

Your drive appears to be failing. The test normally completes in about 3 minutes, and your took over 20 minutes. Also your I/O test timed out (failed).

Re: backups--

If you submit your Mac to Apple, and they replace the drive, it is likely to return to you with only MacOS, and none of your files. That is why I was asking about what copies you have, and whether that is enough. MacOS can be re-installed form Apple in a bit over an hour, as a perfect replica of itself (it does not self-modify). Your files are different matter.

It certainly appears your Mac needs service. You can run the diagnostic by holding D-for-diagnostic at startup, and waiting for it to download and run. or you can just make an appointment and bring it in.

Aug 2, 2019 7:50 AM in response to jayplattuk

Before your next run, please change the preferences to "allow Full disk Access" to allow more information to be discovered, especially about recent diagnostic events.

Your I/O test timed out. That may indicate your SSD drive is failing, but you are not showing a Time Machine backup.

¿What is the date of you most recent backup, and by what method?

Macbook suddenly extremely slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.