Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it time for a new MAC? Mine is from 2011 and it won

My mid 2011 MAC won't accept Mohave. Is there a danger of using High Sierra or should I buy a new MAC?

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 5:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 5:44 AM

There's no danger at all using High Sierra. It's still supported and should be for a while. I'm running on mid 2010 iMac with High Sierra and plan to use it until the wheels fall off. Even after High Sierra is no longer supported if it lasts. As long as you're careful there's little chance of any issues. You can also run Malwarebytes if you're concerned. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2019 5:44 AM in response to octalcoder

There's no danger at all using High Sierra. It's still supported and should be for a while. I'm running on mid 2010 iMac with High Sierra and plan to use it until the wheels fall off. Even after High Sierra is no longer supported if it lasts. As long as you're careful there's little chance of any issues. You can also run Malwarebytes if you're concerned. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

Aug 2, 2019 10:33 AM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

If performance is slow on a 2011 you can replace the internal HD for a SSD,

Oh yes, a 6GBps SSD in that iMac has been on the agenda since I upgraded my 2012 MBP to an OWC SSD two years ago.

Problem is that it is Mrs. Jones' computer so, if I want dinner and a cuddle, I best not kill it. She's still happy with its performance because she doesn't use my Macs with SSDs! I should let her loose on one of mine.

I have to harvest the HD out of my dead 2010 iMac. figure I'd appraise my chances of making a mess of an iMac SSD install on that one first! I have all the tools including the suction cups.

Is it time for a new MAC? Mine is from 2011 and it won

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.