Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

aperture crash while migrating

I am using Aperture 3.6 on a MBA with High Sierra and I am in the middle of migrating to LR CC and Aperture crashes a few seconds after startup - it was fine until last week but has suddenly started crashing like this. I have repaired / rebuilt library and repair permissions, but it still crashes. I have also tried running Aperture on another machine with the same library and am having the same problem.

Is there any advice anyone has - I was doing the migration by building full size previews for each project, saving that out as a new library and then importing that library into LR, but still have most of the projects to go and now can't build the previews, otherwise I would simply try importing the whole library into LR.

any advice much appreciated

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 3, 2019 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 8:47 AM

Sometimes the crashes are caused by corrupted items in the library, as soon as Aperture is trying to create a preview for the damaged or incompatible file.

You can try to prevent the crashes by holding down the Shift key (Shift) while launching Aperture. This will defer the creation of Previews until the next launch. If you can get Aperture to open this way without crashing, you may want to inspect the most recently imported files and remove them from the library.

If Aperture is crashing when creating previews, you have to identify the culprit, that is causing Aperture to crash. Try to create the previews in batches, not all at once.

If you are only processing small batches at once, one project at a a time, you will know, that the image files are all right, that can be processed without crashing, and for a project where Aperture is crashing, try to export the edited versions from the project. You will see, how far the export succeeds. The next photo, that not could be exported, will be a damaged file and needs removing.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2019 8:47 AM in response to seanjhinton

Sometimes the crashes are caused by corrupted items in the library, as soon as Aperture is trying to create a preview for the damaged or incompatible file.

You can try to prevent the crashes by holding down the Shift key (Shift) while launching Aperture. This will defer the creation of Previews until the next launch. If you can get Aperture to open this way without crashing, you may want to inspect the most recently imported files and remove them from the library.

If Aperture is crashing when creating previews, you have to identify the culprit, that is causing Aperture to crash. Try to create the previews in batches, not all at once.

If you are only processing small batches at once, one project at a a time, you will know, that the image files are all right, that can be processed without crashing, and for a project where Aperture is crashing, try to export the edited versions from the project. You will see, how far the export succeeds. The next photo, that not could be exported, will be a damaged file and needs removing.

aperture crash while migrating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.