Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.6 not showing images, just a black screen

Hallo

I recently installed Aperture 3.6 in an old MacPro 2.1 with El Capitan, and I transferred the library (very big, around 250 000, mostly referenced files, so I reconnected them).

Problem is, I see all the previews but when I click on any image it does not show, just a black screen. The metadata are there, the curves change if I change image, but I just don't see it.

I tried importing new pictures, same behavior, so it's not the referenced images. I found some pictures within the aperture library, even those don't show.

There is no error whatsoever, or any other strange behavior other than this up to now.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on how to deal with this

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 5:48 AM

Finally I found the issue. The graphic card was not up to scratch or in any case there was an issue.

It showed in fact it only had 7MB of VRAM, while it has 512.... With another card all works fine, I have found this in an old post by a guy who had exactly the same issue and had not turned up in my initial research.

It remains to understand why the card shows 7MB of VRAM.... and why Aperture does not simply say the card is not good enough...

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2021 5:48 AM in response to léonie

Finally I found the issue. The graphic card was not up to scratch or in any case there was an issue.

It showed in fact it only had 7MB of VRAM, while it has 512.... With another card all works fine, I have found this in an old post by a guy who had exactly the same issue and had not turned up in my initial research.

It remains to understand why the card shows 7MB of VRAM.... and why Aperture does not simply say the card is not good enough...

Feb 10, 2021 11:39 AM in response to maurizm

What is the file format of the images? Are it JPEG or RAW files?

Have you tried to create a new Aperture library for testing?

Can you the images, if you import a few of your referenced images to a new Aperture Library? If the images are working well in a new library, I would try to repair the old library.

Quit Aperture, if it is running, then launch it again while holding down the key combination ⌥⌘ . Keep holding down the keys until you are seeing the First Aid Dialog and try all the options in turn. If you do not have a backup of your Aperture Library make a new backup copy, before you try the First Aid.

Feb 10, 2021 12:17 PM in response to léonie

Thanks

they are mostly JPEG.

I created a new library, imported both JEG and RAW, nothing was visible. When I said to choose RAW as original for one image, it started the spinning ball so I think it has crashed. This is repeatable.

I restarted, I asked to do a slideshow and it closed (probably did not find the images)

I had noticed that it was stuck in recognising faces. so I disabled the function but it went on, so I restarted.

I imported a 6 picture folder, and it never completed I opened the acrtivity view and it seems it is stuck in importing, even though the previews appeared immediately. So it could be that it has acrtually imported nothing, just the preview and it cant't import the images themselves (but the previous larger import did not see to have this issue, there is no pending activity for that folder)

Aperture 3.6 not showing images, just a black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.