Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a iPhone without a Wireless Service Plan

Work gave me a new phone, it is not an Apple phone. I have a personal iPhone 7 Plus. Can I use my iPhone like my iPad, which just has wi-fi turned on? It would in effect become a small iPad that I can easily carry around with me. And I would use the iPhone JUST for the APPS. And the work phone for calls, messages and what not. I would use my wi-fi enabled iPhone for everything else, depending upon the ability to connect to a secure wi-fi network. Is this possible? I should still be able to sync it through iTunes so my music and pics stay right where they are. I would need to transfer contacts and documents to the new phone. And that is all that new phone would get.

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 12:14 PM

15 replies

Aug 5, 2019 7:22 AM in response to Shichimi

Shichimi wrote:
The iPhone may need to think it is sending an international text message, but the conversation most definitely travels via WiFi or iTunes. I have used dummy SIM cards, whose sole purpose is for activation, to activate many iPhones.

I didn't say that iMessages were sent over international text. I said that, in order to activate the service, an international SMS must be sent.

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

Aug 5, 2019 6:28 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I don't believe that the SIM card problem is a show stopper. There are millions of non-cellular iPads (including several in my family), iPods and Macintoshes in the world that survive just fine with Facetime and without a SIM card. Likewise, iPhones.

I have an old iPhone without cell service whose only function is to connect via Bluetooth to my home telephone system so that friends and family can call our home for free.

As LACAllen said, though, make sure that the phone remains active. Your old dead SIM should be able to perform this service for you.

Aug 5, 2019 7:00 AM in response to Shichimi

It's not a showstopper but there are often problems. In order to activate iMessage and FaceTime on an iPhone, the device needs to be able to send an international text message. You can do that while the SIM is in the phone and then remove it. However, if, for some reason, the connection gets disrupted, once the SIM is gone, the phone has no way of sending that SMS again.

iPods, iPads and Macs are not required to send that SMS.

The bottom line is that it may work fine, or, it may work for a while and stop. There's just no way to tell .

Aug 5, 2019 7:08 AM in response to Shichimi

Thanks for your response. I feel the same way. Millions are out there! And they still work. As I never Facetime and seldom use messages to text people, I prefer in my line of business to send a email, this will work very well. Apple will protect my information within their apps, as long as I use a protected wi-fi network and encrypt. So to speak as of all that we are finding out now. Apple is still much better than any others in protecting my information.

Aug 5, 2019 7:15 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

The iPhone may need to think it is sending an international text message, but the conversation most definitely travels via WiFi or iTunes. I have used dummy SIM cards, whose sole purpose is for activation, to activate many iPhones. These dummy cards most certainly cannot communicate via any cellular network, as there is no customer to pay for the connection.

Think about it. The activation process teaches the unactivated iPhone how to communicate with its home network, and to ask its home network for permission to communicate. A SIM card inserted into an iPhone can't ask for this permission over the air; it must connect via WiFi (or iTunes) to get this permission.

Aug 5, 2019 7:35 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Your highlighted text gives the answer. You need SMS to activate your phone number, not to activate the iPhone with reference only to the Apple ID. There is no requirement in activation to associate a phone number with an activation.

I just set up an iPhone for my father, who will be visiting from overseas next week. I set it up with a data-only SIM, which can only communicate via 4G or LTE. No voice service; no SMS or MMS service. No problem with Facetime and iMessage, since the Apple ID was created via my PC's browser, and I entered a non-iPhone phone number for the reference phone number. Dad will be keeping in touch with me and my wife [and everyone else in his phone book] via Facetime while he is here, and will put a home country SIM in the phone when he returns home.

Aug 5, 2019 7:40 AM in response to Shichimi

Shichimi wrote:

Your highlighted text gives the answer. You need SMS to activate your phone number, not to activate the iPhone with reference only to the Apple ID. There is no requirement in activation to associate a phone number with an activation.

Did you not actually read the whole sentence I highlighted? It sounds as if you didn't read the words I've bolded below.

In addition to knowing what Apple says is required (and I'm inclined to believe they understand how iMessage works), I've also spent a lot of time on these forums answering questions from people who'd iMessage and FaceTiime doesn't work.

If you're using an iPhone, you need SMS messaging to activate your phone number with iMessage and FaceTime.

Aug 5, 2019 2:12 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

We are saying exactly the same thing. If your phone has a phone number, and if you wish to use that phone number as a directory entry in Apple’s FaceTime lookup database, then you must validate with an active SIM in place.

If, on the other hand, you do not have an active SIM, you can still activate, but you will only be reachable by email address. As I said above, this is precisely the current configuration of my father’s iPhone.

Using a iPhone without a Wireless Service Plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.