Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos issue on a new mac

I am starting up my new Mac and photos will not open. I says unexpected error, quit the program and start it again. I have done that, how do I delete the app and reload it?

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2019 4:54 PM

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and try to create a new, test library. If successful import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? (This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread)

Then launch Photos with the Option key held down and open your current library. Can you?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2019 4:54 PM in response to wally132

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and try to create a new, test library. If successful import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? (This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread)

Then launch Photos with the Option key held down and open your current library. Can you?

Aug 5, 2019 2:19 AM in response to wally132

How are you starting Photos? Are you using a Dock icon or an alias on the Desktop?

Try to start Photos by clicking the icon in the Applications folder directly. This will ensure, that you are not using a link to an outdated version you migrated from your old Mac. If Photos is working when launched directly from the Applications folder, replace the Dock icon by dragging Photos from applications to the Dock.

I have done that, how do I delete the app and reload it?

Photos cannot be reinstalled separately. You cannot even delete the application, because it is protected by the System Integrity Protection. It is a part of the system and will be reinstalled, when you reinstall the system.

If Photos is crashing, it can have several reasons.

1. You may be trying to launch an old version of Photos, restored from your backup.
  2. Your Photos Library may be unreadable. This is tested by the procedure suggested by Old Toad (create small test library).
  3. Your Photos Library may be on an unsuitable external volume. Where are you keeping your Photos Library?
  4. Photos may be trying to open a wrong library. Switching between libraries may be fixing the problem by repairing the Preferences file.

photos issue on a new mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.