Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2011 Issues - Completely Broken?

Hi there,

I'm having persistent issues with a MacBook Pro 13" from 2011.

It started a few weeks ago when during use the cursor became laggy/glitchy and the macbook would freeze up, requiring a forced restart. This seemed to worsen over a couple of weeks until it would not even boot - at which point I tried various troubleshooting actions (resetting SMC/PRAM, reformatting disk, reinstalling OS). Finally, believing the hard drive had failed, I purchased and installed a new HDD.

With the new HDD installed, I installed Sierra and for a time everything seemed to be working (this is WITHOUT restoring my files from the old HDD using time machine). However, after a few days without use, I turned on he MacBook today to find the same issues as before - it will freeze while booting at the white apple logo screen, and if it manages to boot to the login screen, it is incredibly slow and ends up freezing just as before.

The MacBook boots fine in Safe Mode - I'm currently writing this from Safe Mode in fact. I ran disk utility and it returned an error message saying 'First Aid found corruption that needs to be repaired' - I then restarted into recovery mode, and tried to verify and repair the disk, but it returns an error message just saying 'Storage system verify or repair failed'.

I'm now at my wit's end - I understand this is an old machine, but I have no idea what is going on. Is this likely to be some sort of hardware issue (perhaps logic board failure)? As stated, it is running perfectly in safe mode. I'm wondering if it's worth persevering with trying to fix this or simply replacing the machine.

Any insights or ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Jake

Posted on Aug 5, 2019 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2019 7:31 AM

Couple things.

1) I would use Yosemite Disk Utility to erase and repair that new drive. Sierra and High Sierra's Disk Utility is far from perfect.

2) Go to Apple's download site and update the firmware ie EFI. Check the version first using ASP then go find the updated firmware .

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2019 7:31 AM in response to jkbb93

Couple things.

1) I would use Yosemite Disk Utility to erase and repair that new drive. Sierra and High Sierra's Disk Utility is far from perfect.

2) Go to Apple's download site and update the firmware ie EFI. Check the version first using ASP then go find the updated firmware .

Aug 5, 2019 7:36 AM in response to jkbb93

The drive ribbon connectors on the Unibody MBPs occasionally have issues. Other World Computing (MacSales) and Beetstech sell compatible replacements. Apple may longer stock the parts since the older versions used different connectors than the mid-2012 model that’s still supported.

If you get that changed, they run much better with solid state drives.

MacBook Pro 2011 Issues - Completely Broken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.