Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootup/Shutdown Problem 10.11.6, Runs Flawless Otherwise

2011 MacBook Pro 17", 16 GB memory and SSD drive upgrades 4 years ago. Would not shutdown properly followed by user login freeze at about 2/3 completion. Initially booting to Safe Mode would fix it. Now even Safe Mode usually freezes up, sometimes shutting down computer. Finally got it to boot and haven't shut it down since. All apps running fine as long as I don't shut it off. Had enabled "reopen windows and apps on startup" a couple weeks ago. When I turned this off the problem went away for a while then resurfaced and has kept getting worse. Disk drive passes Disk Utility and Smart Utility tests. Ran with each single 8GB ram sticks to see if one had failed, but no change. Will try and find another boot disk next. Ideas?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 17", OS X 10.11

Posted on May 12, 2020 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2020 6:09 PM

Can you post the SMART attributes for your SSD? Many apps don't properly interpret SSD SMART attributes and give an inaccurate assessment of the health of an SSD. Make sure to include the full report which includes the make & model and firmware revision of the SSD. You should also be able to run the SSD's internal selftest as well.

Is TRIM enabled?

What file system is being used?

Your model laptop is prone to GPU issues. You may want to use gfxCardStatus to force the laptop to use the Intel GPU instead to see if this helps.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2020 6:09 PM in response to Dougrc

Can you post the SMART attributes for your SSD? Many apps don't properly interpret SSD SMART attributes and give an inaccurate assessment of the health of an SSD. Make sure to include the full report which includes the make & model and firmware revision of the SSD. You should also be able to run the SSD's internal selftest as well.

Is TRIM enabled?

What file system is being used?

Your model laptop is prone to GPU issues. You may want to use gfxCardStatus to force the laptop to use the Intel GPU instead to see if this helps.

May 13, 2020 2:30 PM in response to HWTech

I found the original MBP hard drive and a USB adaptor cable for it. I shutdown the MBP (Perhaps for the last time! :-( ) and it shutdown properly. Then I used the boot up menu to boot from the old drive via USB. Still locked up, so I’m assuming it’s safe to say it’s not S/W or the SSD drive? Comments appreciated. So far I haven’t been able to get it back up and running. Thanks for the heads up about the GPU and gfxCardStatus. If I can get it running I’ll give that a shot.

Thanks much!

Bootup/Shutdown Problem 10.11.6, Runs Flawless Otherwise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.