Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 13” MacBook Pro Freezing intermittently

I have a 2012 13” MacBook Pro that when I start it it loads fast about 3/4 of the way then it like freezes and will take about 5 min to fully startup to the login screen which I can tell it freezes there too. When this freezes it will also freeze the keyboard (click caps lock and don’t see it light up) and the trackpad (can’t move it or click) these all worked fine before. It even freezes when in recovery mode so I can’t reinstall OS I had to install on ssd on my other computer and then put the ssd in after.

what I’ve done

• had Sata cable for hdd/ssd replaced with new one
  • bought a new ssd
  • reinstalled brand new version of OS

any ideas would be very helpful so I can isolate and repair the problem. I’m thinking it’s hardware related because it does it even in recovery mode. If it is hardware related what could cause this?

thanks

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 10, 2020 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2020 8:36 AM

Yes it's helpful. Fans go crazy when a Mac's SMC (hardware) decides it's overheating, which will occur if a thermal sensor fails or becomes disconnected. Unless of course it's really overheating.

An SMC Reset is justified for that reason: How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn't immediately fix the problem it's nearly certain a hardware problem exists. Can you run Apple Diagnostics / Apple Hardware Test?

Diagnose problems with your Mac - Apple Support

AHT's usefulness is limited, but with any luck it may implicate something that will help narrow down the cause.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2020 8:36 AM in response to SumWhiteDood

Yes it's helpful. Fans go crazy when a Mac's SMC (hardware) decides it's overheating, which will occur if a thermal sensor fails or becomes disconnected. Unless of course it's really overheating.

An SMC Reset is justified for that reason: How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn't immediately fix the problem it's nearly certain a hardware problem exists. Can you run Apple Diagnostics / Apple Hardware Test?

Diagnose problems with your Mac - Apple Support

AHT's usefulness is limited, but with any luck it may implicate something that will help narrow down the cause.

Apr 11, 2020 7:36 AM in response to John Galt

Yes it did it with original hard drive and in recovery mode (I figured random freezing that’s a hdd issue) so that’s why I replaced with new cable and SSD. I also replaced the thermal paste because I thought maybe it was over heating. I forgot to say that when the MacBook freezes the fans turn on full blast . Not sure if that’s helpful.

so I didn’t even think about safe mode so I started it today in safe mode and the thing started right up I mean no 5 minutes at loading screen it took like 10 seconds I logged in fine then it was slow loading black screen where wallpaper was but I was able to move the cursor then wallpaper loaded then it just freezes and fans turned on high. I have ran out of ideas.

2012 13” MacBook Pro Freezing intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.