Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth connectivity broken after MacOS 10.14.6 update (MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015)

I have a Magic Mouse (bluetooth) and some Bose QC35 (bluetooth) headphones. Both were working perfectly with my Macbook Pro 13" (Early 2015 edition) before I applied the MacOS 10.14.6 update yesterday evening.

After the update, neither bluetooth device will connect. I've been through the entire disconnect, attempt to pair, reset the bluetooth module, restart multiple times, (including power-down and wait a few minutes) delete the Bluetooth "plist", etc, etc. Nothing works. Neither device will pair with my MacBook Pro now. I've repeated all this 3-4 times now.

This is *not* a hardware error. This *is* the MacOS 10.14.6 update. The laptop has not been moved and was working perfectly moments before the update. After the update, bluetooth is completely broken and I now have no peripherals :-(

Can I get some assistance or guidance on when this might be addressed by Apple? Again, this *is* the 10.14.6 update. It simply can't be anything else?!

Many thanks.

Posted on Aug 6, 2019 11:27 PM

Similar questions

38 replies

Aug 7, 2019 12:31 PM in response to IgorCanada

Thanks. Yeah, I've stopped trying things and decided a re-install simply isn't worth it (from what others have said). It's highly likely the issue will remain and I'd like to save that much wasted time.

Really hope Apple address this. I'm loathed to invest in my next MacBook Pro if issues like this are going to happen only 3-4 years in.

Aug 12, 2019 7:19 PM in response to ian_sw_london

Correct, this is not a hardware issue. I have been working with Support for the past 24 hours on the issue of Bluetooth "discovery" failing with the update to 10.14.6 from 10.14.5.

MacOS 10.14.6 introduced a new security fix for Bluetooth. It appears that the fix broke Bluetooth for MacBook Pro Mid-2015 hardware and older devices; perhaps other hardware as well. MacOS 10.14.6 may have introduced a firmware change or security fix that affects Bluetooth functionality, albeit the hardware will continue to work; i.e. MacBook Pro Mid-2015 15", 13"....

Attempting to perform a MacOS Recovery from a backup of 10.14.5 will not fix the issue. Using MacOS Recovery after the update to 10.14.6 (reverting back to 10.14.5) does not remove the Bluetooth issue, thus current analysis suggests a potential firmware change for the Bluetooth hardware or a security fix that limits the Bluetooth hardware from "discovery" of new or previously used Bluetooth devices.

Aug 13, 2019 10:26 AM in response to ian_sw_london

Apple Engineering has received the formal case submission for the disabling of Bluetooth discovery functionality with 10.14.6. The case does contain specific information related to the Mid-2015 MacBook Pro, although the Bluetooth discovery issue may have impact on other hardware. Note: this is NOT a hardware issue. Apple Technical Support purportedly will hear back from Engineering within 48 hours with a solution, next steps or direction on next steps to resolve the 10.14.6 experience of disabling Bluetooth.

Aug 16, 2019 11:14 AM in response to ian_sw_london

Apple Engineering has confirmed that 10.14.6 disables Bluetooth. The MacOS 10.14.6 security update disables the ability for the Bluetooth hardware from discovering Bluetooth devices. Apple admits the issue exists, albeit despite the number of reported incidents across the globe, Apple Engineering via Apple Support are focused on the delivery of Catalina (MacOS) for release in the September, October timeframe, hence will not likely address the Bluetooth issue with a 10.14.x supplemental release.

Whether or not the "Catalina" MacOS release will address the Bluetooth issue on Mid-2015 models for all of us who have updated our systems with the 10.14.6 security release, the current Apple Support remedy is to wait for the Catalina release.

This is unacceptable since many of us with Mid-2015 MacBook Pro hardware are being forced to update to the Catalina when released in order to "maybe" experience a fix for the Bluetooth discovery protocol to be enabled for Mid-2015 systems. This is unacceptable since many of us have Mid-2015 hardware remaining under warranty, extended warranty, and furthermore systems that remain supported by Apple for future MacOS system software.

The Bluetooth issue does appear to affect the last generation of MacBook Pro models known as "Mid-2015" where Macbook owners of these models who have updated their systems with MacOS 10.14.6 are affected by the Bluetooth defect.

Apple owes the Macbook community a software update to remedy this Bluetooth discovery issue in Mojave.

Aug 16, 2019 12:06 PM in response to Kevin Harrington

Apple Technical Engineering confirms Apple *must* receive the hardware to evaluate the specifics of the hardware and possible replace the Apple AirPort Card in the MacBook Pro (Mid-2015) as a result of the events of installing the MacOS 10.14.6 software update. Apple claims the first remedy may require the replacement of the hardware.

Apple Technical Engineering also recommends all users subject to the failure of Bluetooth as a result of the 10.14.6 installation report the issue to Apple Support. The more calls on the issue and the report of the failure is instrumental for Apple to address the broader audience of MacBook Pro users experiencing the Bluetooth failure with the introduction of 10.14.6 software update.

Apple is receiving my hardware for repair. :(

Aug 16, 2019 1:04 PM in response to Kevin Harrington

Hi Kevin,

Given your previous (really helpful) reply ("Apple Engineering has confirmed that 10.14.6 disables Bluetooth"), I think it's crazy of Apple to insist on receiving the hardware, when they are pretty-much confirming the 10.14.6 update disabled Bluetooth.

I quite understand that fixing the hardware may, from their corporate standpoint, be the best way to fix the problem for those of us with mid-2015 (in my case early-2015) hardware affected by this, but from an individual standpoint, I simply can't afford to be without my laptop at the moment; I'm a software engineer and I would need to buy a replacement to cover the repair time, which makes the repair nonsensical.

Apple have disappointed me on this. I have an effectively useless Magic Mouse and Bose which I now have to use with a cable.

Rather than receiving my hardware, I will be considering whether Apple will receive my (and my organisation's) money for future hardware (MacBook Pro's, iPhones, etc). I'm not seeing the level of support I'd expect from them.

Bluetooth connectivity broken... my trust in Apple also broken.

Aug 16, 2019 1:20 PM in response to ian_sw_london

I agree ian_sw_london. I"m extremely disappointed that a software update can disable the hardware. The interpretation of the engineers response is; "Not knowing what revision of hardware may be affected, it is necessary for Engineering to get they hands on the equipment." "The AirPort Card/Bluetooth may require replacement due to the software download." If this is true, this is bound to be a recall for all equipment affected by the 10.14.6 software update.

I also cannot justify the loss of my equipment for an extended period of time. My Mid-2015 15" is nearly new and one of the last to be available on the Apple store for sale. I'm not interested in some tech manhandling the Macbook due to Apple Software Engineering releasing a software update that disables the hardware.

I've lost my trust in Apple Software Development. It is clear the reported Bluetooth failures are consistent with the installation of 10.14.6. This is unacceptable.

While awaiting for a scheduled appointment to drop off my hardware, I've escalated this to the "Customer Relations Department" hoping for another resolution to the issue. If the 10.14.6 is truly causing the AirPort Cards to become corrupt, this is a major issue for all those reporting the failure.

Please open a case with Apple and reference any/all of the contact from these posts, and other posts searchable on any third party search engine. The reports of 10.14.6 corrupting the Bluetooth functionality are beginning to pile up.

Aug 17, 2019 6:46 AM in response to Kevin Harrington

I've opened a case with Apple Support via Twitter and they are messaging me periodically to ask for more info. So far, we've had to go through the Wi-Fi interference, SMC reset, NVRAM reset, etc. I've repeated all of these and tried to pair with my Bose and Magic Mouse (which work with my iPhone / Macbook Air) afterwards, with no success.

If they suggest they need to see the hardware, I'll be giving them 1 hour with it, after which I want it back. They should have reference machines of each model and batch upon which they can do this testing. I suspect they are reluctant to revert a firmware change bundled with 10.14.6 that no-longer supports something about this older hardware.

Bluetooth connectivity broken after MacOS 10.14.6 update (MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.