Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth stopped working - Big Sur 2020 MBP

Having major issues with Bluetooth on my 2020 Macbook Pro/mac OS Big Sur 11.5.2 Was working fine for about a year, then all of a sudden none of my bluetooth devices would connect, or even show up in the bluetooth preferences pane.

Devices I've tried to connect: iPad, Topping MX3 headphone amp, Logitech G604, Apple Wireless keyboard. These devices all work fine, and can connect via bluetooth to a windows laptop I have.

I have tried all the usual steps of:

• resetting bluetooth module
  • removing the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file
  • removing /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/HAL/
  • resetting NVRAM

Any other suggestions I can try?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2021 3:34 PM

That's most of what we'd do. However, try this: boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2021 3:34 PM in response to tapewarm

That's most of what we'd do. However, try this: boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Aug 25, 2021 9:41 AM in response to Robcarlsonx

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Bluetooth stopped working - Big Sur 2020 MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.