Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Mail rules not working as expected

Hi,

I have a fairly simple macOS Mac Mail rule.

<<

If "any" of the following conditions are met

-subject contains "newsletter"

then "Perform the following actions:"

-Forward email to xxx

-Move to Folder xxx

-Mark as read.

>>

Couple of things happen.

The "Move to" part always becomes the first "action" and the "Forward" is not happening.

If you replace "Forward" with "Resend" – which I would prefer – it is also not functioning...

Try it for yourself if you have two email addresses.

How can I get this working?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 7, 2019 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2019 9:38 AM

Rules only works on emails that are in the Inbox. Who is your email provider? Try try add the forward rule to your email account online. If that works and you end up with the email forwarded and in your email inbox you can set the read rule to go first and then the Move to rule last.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2019 9:38 AM in response to selsro

Rules only works on emails that are in the Inbox. Who is your email provider? Try try add the forward rule to your email account online. If that works and you end up with the email forwarded and in your email inbox you can set the read rule to go first and then the Move to rule last.

Aug 7, 2019 8:39 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

That is exactly what I've been doing the last couple of hours.

The moment I introduce the "Move to folder" action it breaks...

Currently I've a workaround, having iCloud Server Rules do the forward first (there ruleset is limited to one), and then using macOS Mail the move and read status.

Problem is that I want to do this for several (including non iCloud) email boxes.

In all fairness, it can't be that difficult to have this working as expected?

Aug 7, 2019 9:57 AM in response to Old Toad

Your remark got me thinking, and afterwards I reflected, why haven't I thought of this before...

Splitting the rule in two rules did the trick. First the Redirect in the first rule, and the move and read in a second rule.

Thanks for the inspiration!

PS: I have lots of email providers, hence I wanted it to work on the aggregator of all email, macOS Mail.

macOS Mail rules not working as expected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.