Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading OS Lion 10.7

I bought this MacBook from eBay about a week ago, I just wanted something I could use for writing and since everything I own is Apple I wanted to keep it that way. I really couldn’t afford a brand new one. Well it took me forever for me to get the OS lion downloaded and now I can’t do anything. I can’t upgrade to any other OS I can’t really use safari and I can’t use any word apps. I’m getting frustrated that I wasted 200$ on a computer I can’t use. Can anyone help me?

Posted on Aug 7, 2019 10:18 AM

15 replies

Aug 7, 2019 1:57 PM in response to Kspangler92

I believe there are some unofficial backports of Firefox and Chrome (or rather Chromium) web browsers which will run on your laptop, but I am not personally familiar with them. IIRC there is a critical unpatched vulnerability with OSX 10.7.x Lion, but I don't recall the details, but it is serious enough that we are not allowed to use it in our organization.

If you want an up to date OS on this laptop, you could try installing Linux on it (Ubuntu or Linux Mint). Both of these Linux distributions should be easy to install and run on the MacBook from what I've been told. They have access to the latest versions of the common web browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Vivaldi, and others). It also includes LibreOffice by default which tries to be compatible with MS Office since MS Office doesn't run natively on Linux, although some 2010 and older versions of Office can be made to run using WINE (available with Linux) or Codeweavers' CrossOver app (paid app).

Unlike Windows and macOS, Linux has access to many different graphical Desktop Environments. Desktops Environments are just the graphical interface you see and interact with. The underlying core OS is the same with each Desktop Environment. The Desktop Environments which I've found that will run with limited memory and minimal CPU are Mate, KDE, LXDE, and XFCE with KDE & LXDE modeled a bit like MS Windows. While I don't use either distribution, the version of Linux I do use has these Desktop Environments using only about 300MB at login. Do not attempt to run the standard plain Ubuntu with the Gnome Desktop as it requires a high end system to run. There are other Desktop options as well. Linux is free to download and use, but will require you to learn the OS as it is different than OSX. Linux is not for everyone, but since it is free it is easy to try it out especially since you know how to reinstall Lion if you want to go back.

You can create a bootable Linux installer from the downloaded .iso files using Etcher (Mac/Windows/Linux). Etcher requires OSX 10.9+ to run, or you can use the Terminal "dd" command to burn the installer .iso to the USB drive. Option Boot the Linux USB installer and select the orange icon labeled "EFI".

Ubuntu Mate -- Ubuntu with Mate Desktop

Kubuntu -- Ubuntu with KDE Desktop (tons of customization options)

Lubuntu -- Ubuntu with LXDE Desktop (very minimalistic and lightweight)

Xubuntu -- Ubuntu with XFCE Desktop (fairly minimalistic and lightweight)

Linux Mint -- Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu, with Mate and XFCE desktops currently available)

Aug 7, 2019 10:29 AM in response to macjack

Yes I’ve done this 3 times now since the computer was delivered on Monday. I’m getting ******. I spent 40$ on the both the OS Lion and the Mountain Lion which I was told I had to by apple support and then I should be able to upgrade after that but I can’t upgrade to the mountain lion. I get a message saying it’s not compatible but I was told it was.

Aug 7, 2019 12:14 PM in response to Kspangler92

Not being able to update to a newer macOS is not an actual issue. Its a fact of the age of the Mac. Everything else about it can be working fine.

If you specifically asked if it could be updated, and he said yes, then he was either misinformed or lying. I would assume the first one, but you never know.

After all its an 11 year old model at this point.

Upgrading OS Lion 10.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.