Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use a different language keyboard without having to change the language on the OS

Hello,

I wanted to know if there is any way someone knows that could help me, you see my Macbook Pro has an spanish ISO keyboard, however i recently bought a wireless keyboard that has the english keyboard layout, how can I use each keyboard with their respective layout? right now the keys of my wireless keyboard are being taken into account as if they were an spanish Keyboard.

Is there any way someone knows?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 7, 2019 2:14 PM

5 replies

Aug 8, 2019 2:59 AM in response to DantnadOriginal

DantnadOriginal wrote:

how can I use each keyboard with their respective layout?

The only way normally to do this is to switch your input source to US or ABC when you are using the external keyboard. This can be done via the "flag" menu at the top right of the screen or via a keyboard shortcut (after adding US or ABC to your list in system prefs/keyboard/input sources). For it to happen automatically you would have to add some 3rd party utility. Karabiner might handle it.

Aug 8, 2019 10:29 AM in response to Marco Klobas

Hey Marco!

I installed autokbisw and worked like a charm, however if i'm honest with you i don't even know how i managed to make it work as i have almost no experience with binaries.

What's the easiest way to install it according to you? when i installed it with homebrew it didn't work right away, i tried to do it with xcode cli and i think... that's what worked(?)

But this was exactly what i was looking for :) thank you!

Aug 8, 2019 11:28 AM in response to DantnadOriginal

Hi DantnadOriginal, glad to know it worked.

The easiest way to install this "extra" type of software is indeed with binaries like you did. Assuming that are available – you were lucky, in fact, to have the binaries available ready to use.

Binaries are like apps: ready to execute programs. The compilation is already done by someone else.

It's not always that easy. Homebrew is a tool that helps users to install and manage software otherwise not available for Mac. Actually it exists to facilitate the installation of this type of programs without the need to compile them manually.

Probably when you went the Homebrew way something was missing (the very brew command or something else).

How to use a different language keyboard without having to change the language on the OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.