Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to turn off FileVault when the progressive bar is frozen?

How to turn off FileVault when stuck on encryption and progressive bar is frozen? I am not a techno savy, please make it simple.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 4:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2019 5:41 AM

Sorry for responding so late, I've been pretty busy.

Well, your Mac is pretty messed up but easily fixable, follow these instructions:

How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

Afterwards, follow this:

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Please keep in mind that erasing your Mac will destroy *all* data, files, games, applications, etc. Though since you say you copied the files you want to some external storage (flash drive, external hard drive?) already I assume you are ok with that.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2019 5:41 AM in response to Ostiglia

Sorry for responding so late, I've been pretty busy.

Well, your Mac is pretty messed up but easily fixable, follow these instructions:

How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

Afterwards, follow this:

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Please keep in mind that erasing your Mac will destroy *all* data, files, games, applications, etc. Though since you say you copied the files you want to some external storage (flash drive, external hard drive?) already I assume you are ok with that.

Aug 9, 2019 9:08 AM in response to Ostiglia

Sometimes encrypting can take hours or days or longer (I've seen upwards of a week on some posts here). The speed all depends on various factors such as the type of drive (hard drive vs solid state) for example. As I said, you cannot turn it off in system preferences, it must finish to "turn off."

How long has it been encrypting for?

Aug 9, 2019 5:47 AM in response to archieny

My mac is completely stuck on encryption with FileVault, not finishing at all!!! The dreaded spinning beach ball appearing all the bl.......... time. I try to turn it off in system preferences, but to no avail : impossible to turn it off while encrypting, but in reality it's not encrypting. Who said computers make life easier.

Aug 9, 2019 12:16 PM in response to archieny

Thank you for trying to help me out, but it has been encrypting intermittently for at least 3 weeks. The progressive bar is frozen and no timing is given. At the moment my Mac is in Safe Mode. After I was given the advice to start from scratch, I saved all my documents etc.... , then went into Disk utilities and tried to repair the disks on the left, but accidentally I have deleted Macintosh hd, and virtual disk and untitled disk are now in the disk utilities. I am at the end of my tether.

how to turn off FileVault when the progressive bar is frozen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.