Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Card and Quicken

I didn't see a topic or community set up for Apple Card yet so I'm starting this thread on Apple Pay, somewhat related, just to get the discussion rolling.

I recently accepted the Apple Card invitation and contacted Help/Goldman Sachs to see if they support Direct Connect functionality in Intuit’s Quicken for Mac financial management software (as provided for other "conventional" Goldman Sachs card holders). I was told this Quicken service is not available for Apple Card and, furthermore, there are no provisions for Apple Card customers to login to the Goldman Site and download Apple Card transactions manually, once hard credentials are provided like account number, etc.

Without some kind of financial integration or management functionality, Apple has created yet another "Financial Silo of Excellence” that does not integrate well with existing financial management solutions. 

I realize there are security concerns but believe this is very short-sighted and should not have been overlooked during the development phase of the Apple Card. I'm hoping more information and financial management functionality is forthcoming.

iPhone

Posted on Aug 9, 2019 9:04 AM

Similar questions

427 replies

Oct 21, 2019 12:13 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

Telling the other users in this user-to-user forum is a useless thing to do. To get your message to Apple use https://apple.com/feedback.

While I appreciate you reminding people of the feedback link, posting in a community forum is not "useless". Posting here results in:

1. A place to be heard and your plan of action vindicated
  2. A way to vindicate others who've posted and discuss the pros and cons of next steps
  3. See the number of those interested in this issue willing and able to post here.
  4. Get good advise from others on how to report this to Apple and Goldman Sachs.

On the point of reporting to Goldman Sachs, I struggled to find a feedback route to them, probably because they're so new to the consumer banking market. www.marcus.com is their consumer site and the only way to contact appeared to be by phone. I did send an email via a BBB link sharing basically the same info I've said here and on the Apple Feedback site 2-3 times. I include a link to this discussion as a "stack of comments" that should be considered by the firm when thinking about this "feature request".

I hope others will follow suit.

Mar 2, 2020 1:31 PM in response to MRYFLYGUY

My guess would be that GS was willing to agree to some terms that traditional banks would not. Apple has (and likely wants) a lot more control of the experience with GS than United has (or likely wants) with Chase. If there is going to be an integration with other apps, I think it's going to be on Apple's terms rather than driven by GS's plans for consumer bank accounts.

I plan to continue to limit my use to low volume purchases where I get 3% or better until there is a Quicken integration. If it never comes, it will never become a primary card for me.

Mar 2, 2020 5:48 PM in response to William Tanner

My main bank, Chase, can auto download checking, savings, and credit card. I have 5 other credit cards and one financial broker that autodown loads with no problem. I can even have Quicken pay monthly payments. I rarely manually enter purchase information on the credit cards - once it shows up I can add info if I want. Since I started doing all this I have virtually eliminated dumb entry errors. This allows me to auto reconcile all accounts. To have a credit card that would take manual entry or even having to go specifically to that account online to get the info would be a step backwards.

Aug 10, 2019 7:57 AM in response to askbarnabas

Yes,but that’s not really the point,is it? While this might work in a perfect Apple world where everyone has an Apple Card - and only an Apple Card - we don’t live in it. The Apple Card is just another credit card to manage (transactions, statements, payments) along with your Amex, Visa, etc. As designed, it doesn’t fit well into the real financial world.

Aug 13, 2019 10:40 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Not sure, but to be quite honest, they have lost my business and interest in the Apple Card if this is the route they are going. There is a difference between a minimalist, easy to use card, and a card with basic, necessary features. If I can't view my statements online (I will not give in to using my iPhone to view a list of transactions when running reports - how would you ever be able to reconcile doing so?), this is absurd. Any person that has a right mind and does just the smallest bit of accounting should be highly disappointed. These key components are an absolute deal-breaker for me as I believe are for quite a few other people.

Nov 10, 2019 8:18 AM in response to lkrupp

lkrupp wrote:

You can do all those things with the Apple Card. You can view purchases, you can pay your bill, you can view and print statements, ALL online on your iPhone. What does doing it on a website have to do with anything?

[Edited by Moderator]

In many relationships, one partner handles the mundane (but important) accounting task. My wife is quite happy to let me deal with this. Like many middle-aged families, we have quite a few accounts, from bank accounts we had prior to getting married, credit cards, the mortgage, maybe a car loan, and our retirement/investment accounts. We also have the usual utility bills to pay, and the other expenses incurred from just living.

I use Banktivity to keep this all straight. Doing this all on a proper computer, not a phone, lets me have more than one application window open and visible simultaneously. I pay all of our bills through the various billers' websites. The bill gets paid, I save the receipt using the macOS "Print To PDF" feature, and I accept the scheduled transaction in Banktivity.

Enter the Apple Card. The card uses the iPhone as the security dongle. I get this, it's the most secure way to authenticate the card. But this precludes obvious things like multiple cards per account. I can't get an Apple Card account and add my wife as joint on it, and get a card issued in her name on it.

And this leads to the most glaring problem I have with the card. Since all of the card management is done on the cardholder's phone, I have to tell my wife, "can you pay your Apple Card bill from the XYZ account?" I have to tell her, "when you get a chance, please generate the statement PDF and send it to me so I can reconcile your card account and schedule the payment." Now it's one thing if I'm doing the accounting while we're watching TV. It's another thing entirely if she's traveling for work, or if I'm traveling.

So it becomes a matter of convenience and choice. If managing the Apple Card is too inconvenient, we simply won't use it, and we'll use one of the other cards that offers similar, or better, benefits. Apple's cash back is no better than my local credit union's card, and Amex' customer support and other benefits (like car rental insurance) are superior. Lowes and Target give a 5% discount at purchase when you use their house card. I don't care about interest rates because I pay off our balances in full each month. (And the Apple Card's best rate, which I have, is still higher than my credit union's card or our USAA card.)

I expect that the uptake on getting the card was so great because of the ease of applying for it -- the offer is on everyone's iPhone. Apple and Goldman Sachs will never release any data on this, but I wonder how many people will get the card, use it for a month or two, and then realize that it's a pain to manage, and go back to their usual card that gives them airline miles or other cash back or whatever. Few people actually cancel a credit card because of the (alleged) affect that has on credit scores, so the card will sit in the drawer (and on the phone) and not be used.

I should mention that I did a little survey of my married friends about financial management duties, and it was unanimous -- every couple had one spouse who did the accounting. It's all part of the division of labor in any such relationship. Sure, it's a small and not very scientific survey, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is the norm and not the exception.

One more thing (as Jobs would say). The arrogance of some people in this thread is astonishing. Just because you don't need a feature doesn't mean that others find that feature useful or even vital. So to everyone who posts and is dismissive of requests that Apple support better Card management, get over yourselves. Your experience is not the only experience.

Nov 10, 2019 8:35 AM in response to Andy Peters

Thank you for your comments, Andy. I thought it was quite arrogant to state that just because you may not know what a PDF or CSV file is you are less intellectual than those that do.

Those of us with an Apple Card, Macs and maybe Quicken are fortunate that we can afford the tools to manage our personal lives and finances but by no means does this make you a better person than the rest of the world. It takes all kinds, and we’re all here.

Scott

Dec 27, 2019 1:14 PM in response to half_time_report

You said: “viola Apple Credit isn’t even shown on their feedback website. Do they not want feedback??? “

Let me help you find where to provide feedback. Regularly referring Apple to this thread is the best hope we have that they will take note and make a change.

I believe they categorize the Apple credit card under Apple Pay. I have posted on the Feedback link for Apple Pay. Here is the link:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-pay.html

Apple Card and Quicken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.